Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fruit tree care.
  • sharki
    Free Member

As a lot of you lot here seem to have larger gardens than the usual terrace or even window boxed flat.

It you have fruit trees, have you been on a course explaining pruning, grafting and budding of fruit trees to improve the form or to restore older neglected trees?

I did over the weekend and can highly recommend it, if you want to get your trees healthy and looking great.

I spent a day yesterday in the trees and its great to see the transformation as well as understanding the benefits if a good trim.

Looking forward now to 170 apple tree coming into blossom and seeing that everytime I leave the cave.

Springs coming, everyone enjoy.

Stoner
    Free Member

harrumph.

Found out that Mrs S didnt bother putting rabbit protectors on the half dozen new fruit trees that went in last autumn.

Rabbits have nailed all of them. That’s £100 up the poopipe. 🙄 🙁

I is not a happy bunny.

sharki
    Free Member

Doah.
    Are they totally stripped of bark or worse?

Stoner
    Free Member

6″ band, 360degs. grrrrrrrr!!!

gusamc
    Free Member

the old codger said I should grease the cut bits after tree pruning

slowoldgit
    Free Member

@stoner – I’ve seen similar damage repaired by grafting pieces of apple twig above and below to bypass the damage. But I think I’d plant new, and try just one to see if it worked. It must be about the right time of year, just before the sap rises.

sharki
    Free Member

Yeah, bridge grafting might help the rabbit damaged tree, but a 6″ ring sounds severe.
    I take it the ring starts at ground level.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fruit tree care.’ is closed to new replies.