Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Frozen Hope Hub
  • paddy0091
    Free Member

Any reason for my Hope Pro 3 to become stiff, as in the cranks not turning. (eventually they move freely…)

Nothing has been altered to do with the QR/Chain/BB, etc, just the handlebars and stem!

Any insight would be appreciated

thanks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Don’t quite understand – the rear is not freewheeling? take it apart lube dn reassemble very easy to do. there is a bush that can seize and also there are bearings that can fail but they normally lead to wobble and noise not seizure

paddy0091
    Free Member

cheers for the response.

I know, it’s pretty odd. Went to move the bike yesterday and noticed that it wouldn’t back pedal, tried turning the cranks and they wouldn’t move at all.

Will have a go with your suggestion, thanks.

andycs

Could be seized jockey wheels on rear mech or chain needs a good clean and lube?

wwaswas

take wheel out of frame and try and turn freewheel by hand.

cranks not turnign could be anythign from a seizing BB to grabbing rear brake.

paddy0091
    Free Member

I take pride in a a super clean drivetrain 😉 so will rule that one out.

STATO
    Free Member

… tried turning the cranks and they wouldn’t move at all.

Sounds like the BB no?

paddy0091
    Free Member

Currently got the bike in the room:

* wheel off spins fine

* cranks spin fine (BB less than 1000miles)

* all jockey wheels fine

Could be that it’s been in storage for 6months?

wwaswas

so freewheel spins fine on wheel?

have you changed the bearigns recently? Biggest cause of this on hope hubs is that spacers are in in the wrong order and the wheel binds when the QR is done up.

try putting wheel in frame, no fittign chain and see if it still spins.

phil.w
    Free Member

My moneys on hub bearings being seized.

Only because I have a wheel sat in the garage that had the exact same symptoms after not being used all winter.

paddy0091
    Free Member

No bearings recently, yeah heard of that before regarding the spacer issue.

All running OK upside down in here.

odd, cheers for all the suggestions.

paddy0091
    Free Member

phil, did that run OK after a bit of use? done 10 or so hours on this since getting out without issue…only when I got it out the other day that I noticed it was frozen..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

still not really clear wht the issue is. is it teh wheel not turning or the freewheel not working?

paddy0091
    Free Member

Yesterday and this morning the cranks wouldn’t turn as a result of the hub (chain going slack when turning back ruling out bb issue), then after a bit of force being applied it would ‘free up’ and everything would turn.

just trying to fathom the cause, seemingly storage..and slight bearing seizure

FieldMarshall

My hope xc hub also did this yesterday after being sat for a week.

i.e. rear wheel would not turn when I tried to push it backwards.

Tried moving cranks backwards, but lots of resistance, then sudden release and all was fine.

Took wheel off, and freewheel was spinning fine. But skewer was seized in the axle, end caps were seized onto the axle and after dismantling one of the freehub bearings was seized.

I suppose that’s what comes from 7 winters of use without any maintenance!! 😳

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Freehub bearings are on their way out. The one on the outside of the freehub body is not all that well shielded from water ingress and will have gone rusty.

I take pride in a a super clean drivetrain

You wash it with a hose perchance? Seriously, bikes can get cleaned too much. If it’s not absolutely minging, let it dry, knock the loose mud off and just relube the chain. It’ll be reet.

shortcut

So, you clean the bike – ie add water.

Then store it for a long period.

That will mean your hub needs new bearings. May as well do the lot. The get all rusty and seized if not used for a period.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Frozen Hope Hub’ is closed to new replies.