Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Frozen Brakes and De Icer
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

My rear TRP Spyre cable disc brake froze this morning and was threatening too on the way home. I just kept pedalling hoping it would heat up! This was about half way on an hours commute, the last part of the journey is a 17 minute train journey (non folding bikes are allowed on this one at peak time). The brake had defrosted on getting out and then froze again on the way to work.

Anyhow, got to do it again in the morning, do I pack a can of deicer(has worked well on snow packed gears and spds in the past), a can of disc brake cleaner, park the bike next to the radiator, or get a hair dryer on it tonight to try and drive out moisture?

Seasonally yours!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Had the problem trail riding in mid Wales on my CCM.
    Piss on them. It won’t refreeze unless way below zero.

jeffl

Had this in my rear BB7 brake this morning. It’s more than likely water in the cable freezing. Going to take the opportunity to replace the cables this weekend.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

trouble is i need to ride and there is no other option.

is de icer greasy?

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

trouble is i need to ride and there is no other option.

is de icer greasy?

JAG

Tonight spray liberally with WD40 or similar water repelling spray 😆

Then it won’t freeze during tomorrows commute 8)

globalti
    Free Member

De-icer can re-freeze, as I know from trying to clear my windscreen.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“De-icer can re-freeze, as I know from trying to clear my windscreen.”

or was that the water turning back to ice once the de icer spirit had evaporated……

NewRetroTom

My Spyres were a nightmare for this last winter. Ended up splashing out on hydraulic callipers and STI’s in the end.

globalti
    Free Member

Yes, I think the ethylene glycol evaporates quite fast leaving water behind, which re-freezes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Frozen Brakes and De Icer’ is closed to new replies.