• This topic has 255 replies, 117 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 256 total)
  • Froome – Are you feeling the love?
  • Carpediem
    Free Member

Fantastic effort today on Ventoux by Chris Froome, but I’m thinking the UK are not feeling the love like they did for Wiggo last year.
    Discuss:

Junkyard
    Free Member

we are not
    A more exciting rider to watch [ if you ignore his style] but much less cool

glupton1976
    Free Member

If he goes on to win this years tour it will be a much bigger achievement than what Wiggins did last year.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    headfirst
    Free Member

Yes. He’s a more exciting rider to watch.

mrchrispy

Froome taking a dump would be more exciting that wiggins riding.

njee20
    Free Member

If he goes on to win this years tour it will be a much bigger achievement than what Wiggins did last year.

Agree, and he’s doing it in a more impressive way, but I fear the British public will be a bit underwhelmed, and I feel really sorry for him

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Maybe it’s because Froome has demonstrated that it’s obvious that Wiggins wouldn’t have won the Tour without Froome to drag him up all the climbs.

Personally I’ve had enough of Wiggins’ peculiar brand of ‘cool’ and think Froome is a much more grown up a complete rider. Long may it stay so.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

if he goes on to win this years tour it will be a much bigger achievement than what Wiggins did last year.

why’s that then?

Northwind

Wiggins was a more lovable/interesting winner than Froome… But also, there’s the whole first brit thing.

AlexSimon

1) He wasn’t really known for the Olympics like Wiggo
    2) He isn’t outspoken and sweary
    3) He still seems to consider himself South African and a resident of Monaco.

Duggan

I really like Froome, was great to watch him today and an awesome display of riding.

I’ve no idea why people don’t really seem to take to him, not sure what people expect a professional bike rider to do other than be good at riding a bike? Release a hit record? Run a sanctuary for sick kittens?

Really hope he goes all the way to Paris in yellow.

headfirst
    Free Member

@the generalist: because this is a harder tour and all the favourites are here

mashiehood
    Free Member

Impressive indeed, I’m becoming a fan.

glupton1976
    Free Member

if he goes on to win this years tour it will be a much bigger achievement than what Wiggins did last year.
    why’s that then?

much harder route and the support team is not as strong. i.e. he doesnt have a rider better than him to hide behind.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

and he’s ridden with a bit of class, the Wiggins/Skyborg train looked like the won the tour by numbers. I’d say Froome would appeal more to pro cycling fans than the British public.

matt_outandabout

Yes, really enjoying him ride a seemingly clever race, as well as being really rather good.

nickc

He still seems to consider himself South African and a resident of Monaco.

This.

to paraphrase Blackadder, “About as Scottish as the queen of England’s tits”

BigJohn

The British public tend to support British riders.

I don’t think Froome has spent more than 20 days total in the UK has he? Even though he is named after thje town that St. Jenson comes from.

But that’s not to distract from the fantastic job he’s doing this year.

zippykona

Regardless of nationality, for the yellow jersey to attack like that in the mountains will always get a gold star from me.
    Well done .

crikey
    Free Member

I think cycling is much less nationalistic than other sports, which I find a good thing. I would never support some one because of the passport or the country they claim. I’m much more interested in personality and achievement than nationality.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Maybe it’s because Froome has demonstrated that it’s obvious that Wiggins wouldn’t have won the Tour without Froome to drag him up all the climbs”

Did you not SEE Porte’s effort today? He broke every other team. And there was more time trialling last year which suited Wiggo more.

Quintana is a beast tho. One to watch.

ratherbeintobago

He still seems to consider himself South African and a resident of Monaco.

Yes, this. I have no problem with foreign-born athletes representing Britain/UK teams (see Wiggo, Mo Farah, half the Scotland rugby team etc.) as long as they at least pay lip service to the idea that their British passport is something other than a flag of convenience. Not so Froomie.

Regardless of nationality, for the yellow jersey to attack like that in the mountains will always get a gold star from me.

And raise a few eyebrows elsewhere. I really, really hope this is real.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Pure class from Froome today, and to be fair he seems like a well rounded, nice guy. I still however, just cant get my head around why he is representing the UK and not South Africa?

Must have something to do with Sky maybe?

ratherbeintobago

I still however, just cant get my head around why he is representing the UK and not South Africa Kenya?

FTFY. Represented Kenya when he was younger, but then got identified by British Cycling as a prospect and changed allegiance.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

After that ride today, I want to have his babies.

(which is physiologically impossible).

Junkyard
    Free Member

IS froome like action man then?

crikey
    Free Member
    Wookster

I really like the chap from what I’ve seen.

He handled the whole will he won’t he team leader debate well I thought, even when wiggins stirred things up. His interviews etc are good, and my goodness the chap can ride a a bike

ninfan
    Free Member

Froome écrase la course, mais il n’est pas un patron!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Are you insinuating something is awry?

Tom-B
    Free Member

No not a fan at all. Not even remotely British-not that that is the sole reason I support a rider. He also looks absolutely awful on a bike.

Getting a bit of a mancrush for Sagan though!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Froome is clearly an exceptional talent, regardless of doping. I guess it’s all down to whether you buy all the marginal gains / good science stuff. It doesn’t sound totally improbable and I want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Still feeling the love here and was out of my seat shouting at the telly when Porte pulled over.

coogan
    Free Member

Never have any interest in watching the tour, or any racing actually, so don’t really care who wins. Any druggies been kicked out yet?

easygirl

Great rider,enjoyed watching him this yer

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member
    Rscott
    Free Member

Two different races two different tour’s.

I dislike froom as i find him utterly boaring except today.

However everyone keeps saying wiggins’ couldn’t have done it without froom, but could froom have done what he did today with out Porte.

Im more impressed with porte and garaint than anyone else on the sky team. and though that quintana climbing look so much more natural than frooms.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m not an avid road racing although I am paying far more attention now I have a road bike but I quite like him he seems really professional in his interviews and was pretty dam impressive today.

Wiggins was considered to be ‘cool’ by the public; sideburns, first Brit to win it, outspoken etc. I can’t decide it the win / fame has gone to his head a bit (he seems to be spending more time at celeb bashes and hanging out with Paul Weller than cycling). Although according to his wife Wiggins the cyclist is a bit of a tw*t (actual words from the Sky documentary last year).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Didn’t look more natural when froome left him behind. I’m feeling the love, he’s great to watch, his attacking today was spine tingling stuff. As said earlier, Porte and kennaugh were tremendous today.

Fantombiker

I juts can’t warm to him. The fact is the field is weak, his main GC rivals Schlek, Contador, etc are all out of form. I like the fact that he attacks but then now I am a fan of Quintana.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 256 total)

The topic ‘Froome – Are you feeling the love?’ is closed to new replies.