Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Front, yes FRONT 10 Speed XT mech ok on 11 speed XT setup
  • timbur
    Free Member

Will it work?
    Will I die?
    Anyone done it?
    Cheers
    Tim

CaptainCrash
    Free Member

Possibly,
    Yes, one day.
    Nobody in my circle of ridin’ chums…..

timbur
    Free Member

Ace
    Still no clearer
    😈

conkers
    Free Member

Yes but you have to be careful of the range of the rear mech. I did it when XT 11spd first came out with an 11-40 cassette and medium cage rear mech that according to Shimano only left me a 10tooth difference on the front chainrings. I used a 22 granny and a 32 large chainring. Yes it was a bit pointless and soon came off.

I may have jumped the gun a bit there thinking of 1×11 only. If your thinking of doing a 2x set up using an old front mech and shifter instead of buying a new xt set up then yes no problem as long as the mech is rated for the size and difference in front chainrings.

timbur
    Free Member

Everything is m8000 bar the front mech
    I’m medium cage with 11-42 at the rear
    Front will be 36/26
    Being tight to try and avoid buying a new mech.
    Tim

thejesmonddingo

If it helps at all,I run a 9sp front mech on a 10sp system with no problems.

conkers
    Free Member

The capacity of the mech is 39t but your set up is 41t. You may well get away with it though. Make sure the chain is long enough to go onto the biggest chainring and biggest rear sprocket with the suspension compressed. If there is too much slack when on the smallest ring and rear sprocket then you’ll either have to not use that gear or get a longer cage but I think you could get away with it just.

timbur
    Free Member

Suspension? You were doing so well till that point :0). All bikes fully rigid here.

I thought the medium cage gs was for 1x and 2x setups with the sgs for 3x

I’ll give it a whirl and see what happens.

Ta

Tim

conkers
    Free Member

Rigid puts it more your favour 😀
    3×7 on my rigid 😉

celticdragon

Thanks for posting this, I was about to post something similar, so I’m glad its not just me!

I’ll be running a 11-42 wide ratio with a 26/38 front. According to CRC’s specs on mech’s, my rear one will be the weak link as its a med cage. I have run it as a 1x with no issues, just had to wind the b screw in.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Will it work? Yes.

Will it work as well as Mr. Shimano intended? Maybe, maybe not. Probably not.

RRP on a front M8000 mech is £36.99. You can probably get them for less. You could flog the other one on eBay or put it in the spares bin. I know what I’d be doing.

andytherocketeer

think the new fangled sideswing ones are even cheaper than that
    (edit: indeed, only €21.90 here)

timbur
    Free Member

I know what I should be doing however I seem to have dozens of front mechs in the shed and it’ll be nice to use one if them once in a while. They’re worth bugger all but I hate throwing things away.
    Saying that, my OCD is going to suffer if the groupset doesn’t match properly.
    Agh!

spacehopper

on a similar theme..

has anyone run a front mech with a Sram 10-42 11 speed cassette?

id obviously avoid big ring and 36/42 and granny ring 10/12/14 type combos!

the reason?

I like the way the shift onto the granny alters how my suspension works on climbs..

and im forever searching for that one lower gear even when in the bottom one because im not the fittest / strongest

and the 10-42 and a 22/24 36 would give me more range..!

dirtydog
    Free Member

Im with drover, just buy an 11 speed. Im sure you could get it to work but usually not to the standard you might be expecting. I’m basing this on my experience of mix matching 8/9 and 10 speed front mechs, none of them work to the standard the correctly corresponding one does.

I like the way the shift onto the granny alters how my suspension works on climbs..

Anti squat, usually the first thing that gets thrown out the window when people switch to 1x or even 2x, they give it no consideration at all, its one of the reasons I’ll be sticking with 2x.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Front, yes FRONT 10 Speed XT mech ok on 11 speed XT setup’ is closed to new replies.