• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by br.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Front wheel comes loose crash
  • Pigface
    Free Member

My mates son had a big off last night when his front wheel came adrift. His dad is giving him heaps but qr skewers can become loose after some heavy braking cant they? Or am I dreaming that? Anyway good news no real damage done but everyone breaks noses 😉

richcc
    Free Member

He'll know for next time

theboatman
    Free Member

but qr skewers can become loose after some heavy braking cant they?

TJ will be along in a minute to explain this for you and then point out he wouldn't use a shopping trolly unless it had 20mm thru axels due to fear of death.

There was a really unfortunate case where a lad was paralysed following an off, and then brought a court case against Fox as his QR front wheel had popped out.

Whilst I respect TJ's point of view, quite a few people still use QR's without incident, but you do have to keep an eye on them and I agree with Richcc.

Chicks dig bent noses, glad your mates OK

dasnut
    Free Member

quick release wheels – so you can fix a puncture faster? Put it in your car quicker?
    How about needing an allen key and having a bolt-up\through system?
    pointless bicycle invention, people who still use them on mountain bikes are deranged.
    🙄
    sorry the guy got injured, but really, quick release wheels? WHY WHY WHY

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes the precessional forces set up by braking over bumps tends to undo your qr – For this to be an issue the forces must be big enough to overcome the resistance in teh qr. Basically everthing needs to stack up against you for this to happen.

Experimentally found by Ben @ kinetics amongst others.

Its rare but it happens.

http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/disc_brakes___qrs.shtml

Northwind

I've never had it- I did have the rear fall out of the bike once but ironically, that wasn't a quick release- but I'd have thought it should be noticable, in the time between the wheel loosening initially and becoming loose enough to fall out past the lawyer tabs?

dasnut
    Free Member

noticable to who? experienced bike rider?

what is the point of QR wheels someone please explain?
    do you not all carry a minitool with allen keys on it?

druidh
    Free Member

theboatman – Member

Whilst I respect TJ's point of view, quite a few million people still use QR's without incident,

Fixed that for you

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Aye – and a few folk have the QR coming loose – its a low probability but it happens.

Have you read Bens stuff on that link? Or all the other data around this?

allthepies
    Free Member

As the pic above, use Shimano QR's and all will be well.

br
    Free Member

But maxles are tool free anyway.

And often its not the QR thats at fault, but the person who did(n't do) it up…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Front wheel comes loose crash’ is closed to new replies.