Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Front wheel buckle – 1 in a million?
  • WillC9999
    Free Member

Now then. I am off to Spain with the misses for a bit of XC riding in a few weeks. Got 6 weeks off work and don’t want to blow it, so taking quite a lot of spares – pads, cables, chain rings, derailleurs, mech hanger, chains, rear wheel. Was wondering about a front wheel. I haver never ever managed to buckle/destroy a front wheel. DHers excluded, has anyone else? And what else have I forgotten?! 😯

sam2391
    Free Member

It is possible so if you have to option to take one you may as well.

WillC9999
    Free Member

Kind of where I am at, but I did start to think I was getting a bit OCDI. Could take a spare misses too? 🙂

ads678

Just get one of them out there!!

WillC9999
    Free Member

That means a wasted da driving into Malaga etc!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you’ve got the room, take it. In fact, take a spare bike, or two. Or three.

There is no right answer to this. 🙂

Neil-F
    Free Member

If need be you could pick up a cheap enough spare wheel over there surely? I wouldn’t bother taking any wheels, probably just take some spare spokes.
    Take brake discs too.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Learn how to build a wheel ( buy the PDF Wheelpro book) and take a few spare spokes.

If you can build, you can repair.

Sorted.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Oh yeah, proper tacoed one on a pretty mild descent at Cannock (pre-breaking bumps of doom era).

I’m not known for not riding like dick though :mrgreen:

I wouldn’t worry about it, won’t you be wanting days off the bike?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez, folk here will panic about anything…

Garry_Lager

I’ve also taco’d one – on the most innocuous tree root as well. [Recall someone straightened it out for me by bashing it on the ground – most impressive].
    V rare event though. You have to draw the line somewhere with spares – and you’re riding in Spain not Somalia. Wouldn’t worry about it.

HermanShake
    Free Member

XC riding with the missus; doesn’t seem to be spare wheel territory (unless your missus is rather serious about her riding). Take a spoke key, not a spare set of wheels.

Your kit seems a little overkill. Do you ride like a walloping bike bending beast or a typical STW everyman? I’d take spares for readily consumed parts and tools, but nowhere near that much extra bike. If you’re going to be paranoid about your bike, you should probably be paranoid about hers too!

By the way CRC ship to Spain 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve bent, but never destroyed.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Well they ship to Malaga.. but he won’t collect the parcel from there ;O)

watsontony
    Free Member

my “mate” bent a front wheel pretty bad with a head on with a rock. we loosend the spoke’s bent the wheel back and then trued it best it could go……. i would suggest only taking parts you can carry in your backpack just buy anythign else IF needed.

coatesy
    Free Member

Done one, seen quite a few, still not paranoid enough to be taking spare front(or rear) wheels away with me though 🙂

WillC9999
    Free Member

Thank for the comments. I think I may be overcooking it but don’t want the whole trip to get mullered because of not having some peculiar bearing. As for wheel building, I still plan to learn this but thus far spoke replacement is my limit!

wwaswas

Just take a holw spare bike identically specced to the one you planning on taking to start with?

Jerome
    Free Member

Defo take spare wheels if you have them already and the room to get them there.

WillC9999
    Free Member

A hollow bike? I think my bike is already hollow, I tapped it to make sure.

Superficial
    Free Member

6 weeks? That’s quite a lot of riding potentially, it’s likely that significant stuff will wear out / break in that time. Malaga is OK for spares but can be pretty expensive compared to the UK. If you’re driving and have the option to take extra bits, I’d definitely take what I could. Having said that, a spare front wheel is pretty far down the list of spare items I’d take.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Front wheel buckle – 1 in a million?’ is closed to new replies.