Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Front rotor size – soul content
  • matther01
    Free Member

Running a 180 on my fs, but wondering if I can get away with a 160 ice tech on my soul?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

frame has not much to do with front rotor? how is the 180? how much heavier is the FS? Is it worth bothering dropping to 160?

svalgis
    Free Member

160mm probably won’t kill you, but I can’t see a reason not to go with 180mm tbh.

andyl
    Free Member

More important than frame:

what type of riding you do with it/where do you ride
    how heavy are you
    what brakes are you using

160mm will probably be fine though. Just doesnt look as good 😀

matther01
    Free Member

The reason I ask is that I’ve heard the stopping power on the slx with ice techs is really good at 160. I’m only 80kg and don’t see me using the soul as hardcore hardtail as like a bfe

martinhutch

I’m about 75kgs and the stopping power with old deore 525s on 160 is more than enough for me. So you should be fine, especially as you’re not hammering it.

Northwind

Think my Soul always had a 160 or 180 on it. Soda has 160s both ends. But then my Hemlock has a 160 rear and never missed a beat in the alps or doing uplifts and fort william and innerleithen. No fancy ice-tech either, just boggo Formula.

But it’ll depend on you as much as the brakes, some people brake more than others. There’s not much drawback in going up a size but if you go too small then the drawback can be quite abrupt and painful 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Front rotor size – soul content’ is closed to new replies.