• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by stooo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Front rack for Bikepacking – for my new Singular Gryphon
  • stooo
    Free Member

I’ve just finished building up the Grypon and, after a 1st test ride along a ridge above tweed valley, I’m really please with it. It seems offer exactly what I wanted out of an adventure bike… Multiple riding positions, particular for hands, comfy, able to cover long undulating easy sections at pace, capable of occasional blasts down interesting looking singletrack.

Now I’m ready for some adventure and am sourcing some luggage. I’m going with a bikepacking style saddlebag and I may contemplate a frame bag, as carrying a pack was a pain when in the drops…

However, what about a front rack. I can, of course strap a dry bag to the bars, but I like my bar area free and don’t want anything to interfere with my hand positions, my chicken levers, or the multitude of cables.

I’m thinking of a wee rack to sit above the front wheel, randonneur stylee, to sit a bag on top of. But, without canti mounts I’m struggling to find something…

Any suggestions?

Sam

P-clamps are your only option if you really want a rack.

winston
    Free Member

How about a Salsa anything/bikebuddy on each fork leg?

stooo
    Free Member

Yeah. P clips and something like this

otherwise … The anything cage had certainly crossed my mind. My Forks don’t have mounts. Can you get clips to attatch bottle cages where there are no mounts?

stooo
    Free Member

Ahhh… These would allow cage mounting to the fork legs
    zefal cage gizmo

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

The Salsa Minimalist rack could be just what you’re after but again you’ll need P clips.

The Monkii cage and Monkii nuts would be a good option for fork mounted cages – cyclemiles.co.uk

ElShalimo

Stooo – is that the Three Brethren?

drain

Second Stu’s nod to the monkii cages, they’re great.

stooo
    Free Member

ElShalimo
    the three Brethren it is indeed. Lovely route for a forest ride on the gryphon

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

The Blackburn outpost rack:

And old man mountain:

Are both good options that don’t need any mounts. slightly bigger than the usual randonuer racks but solid options without changing your forks. (Both come with full fitting kits)

DrP

PDW front racks thing from charlie?
    Attaches to the bars via calmps, rather than on the legs..

DrP

scotroutes

Err that’s a shopping basket…

epicyclo

Ibera frame bags are cheap – check eBay.

Saves all the hassle about a front rack and doesn’t affect your steering.

Maybe it’s time for someone to invent a truss fork that’s rack shaped. 🙂

DrP

I know…just chucking ideas into the mixer!

DrP

stooo
    Free Member

DrP … That is a basket, but a particularly cool one that would look ace on my charge steamer!

Not quite what I’m after here though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Front rack for Bikepacking – for my new Singular Gryphon’ is closed to new replies.