Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Front QR with a lot of torque.
  • juan
    Free Member

Right, front wheel on the SO's bike keep getting a bit sideway under braking.
    Now I know it's nto due to the brakes, they are hope XC4 in 150 mm diameter, so plenty of modulation but not a lot of power.
    The QR came with the bike. It's a sunn braded one with an external cam. I have just swaped it for an old mavic that I had lying around. It's a tad better but axe still goes a bit sideways.
    So shall I order shimanos, or is it something else that will clamp the fork better?

julianwilson
    Free Member

if she carries a 5mm allen key round with her, a bolt-up skewer would be good. I've got one lying around somewhere if you want.

bisous, J.

juan
    Free Member

julian yes good move how much do you want for it?
    Bisous back 😉

richcc
    Free Member

Change the qr for a shimano one now – unless you'd prefer her with no front teeth? Shimano qr's – beware of expensive imitations

julianwilson
    Free Member

juan, yhm.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

^ what rich says shimano QRs are superb

but whatever you do, do it before you ride again. front axle coming out of the dropout is something you do not what to deal with (ask Russ Pinder 🙁 )

what fork is it? does it not have lawyer tabs on the drop outs? this would normally stop slippage

Another option (esp if you have a shimano hub) is rebuild the hub with a solid axle and nuts , old school but effective

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Wasn't there a website where you could buy industrial versions of the dt rws for a fiver?
    If I was looking for new, I'd try them.

juan
    Free Member

Fork is a suntour. The axle doesn't come out due to the lawyer tabs (as you said). It's just that under breaking (very mild one I shall say) the wheel tilt a bit and that lead to disk rubbing and overheat build up in the brakes.
    But yes I'll go and get some shimano at the lbs this week.

qwerty
    Free Member

HALO Hex Key

😀

funkynick

Juan, are you sure it's the hub moving relative to the fork legs and not that the fork legs are just a bit noodly and are twisting as you brake?

If you check the inside of the drop-outs and look for any scoring where the hub sits, that should be able to tell you if the hub is actually moving.

juan
    Free Member

well nick I am sure it's the hub moving
    I usually put the wheel in close the QR, and then after the ride when I open the QR, the wheel falls back in the dropout

Talkemada
    Free Member

Have you seen that French film 'Baise-Moi'? I thought it was going to be a romantic comedy.

Oh dear… 😳

juan
    Free Member

LOL
    you're a bit out of topic my lil friend. No I haven't seen it but the title was a bit of a give away don't you think 😉

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well, I was of course going by the more traditional meaning of the word….

X

funkynick

So are the insides/outsides of the dropouts scored from where the hub is moving?

And I know it's a silly question, but you are doing the QR up tight enough aren't you? And it's the same tightness when you remove it later? Or is the QR loosening as you are riding?

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

suntour fork with Hope XC4 brakes

you win the internet! 😉

juan
    Free Member

Bikefascist care to explain?
    Nick the QR is still as tight so I know it's not loosening as we ride. I'll check the dropout to see if there is damage.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Front QR with a lot of torque.’ is closed to new replies.