• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Front pannier rack advice
  • Gunz
    Free Member

My kids are old enough to do some miles now so we’re doing a bit of touring this Summer with me carrying the majority of the weight. I’m converting my ’93 Kilauea into a tourer and considering putting a front rack on. My concern is whether the Project 2 forks will take the strain. They were obviously designed as a race fork back in the day so may be overbuilt by modern standards, I just wondered what others thought about their suitability.
    Also, I’m looking at Old Man Mountain racks but they are quite expensive, does anyone have any other recommendations?

steezysix
    Free Member

The P2 forks are hefty – they’ll take the weight no problem. It’s the same fork Kona put on the Sutra which is their touring model. I’d recommend Tubus racks, particularly the Tara – depending on whether you’ve got mid-fork eyelets it should be fairly simple to fit.

scotroutes

There are various P2 models, including some already drilled for front pannier racks.

kcal

Tubus Tara rack on steel forks here – not P2s though. Would have thought P2s would happily take the strain of a small rack and pair of lightly loaded front panniers. After a short time I hardly noticed the front panniers were there, a bit wobbly at low speed but then it’s easy to keep on trundling.

Have a pair of P2s as it happens but don’t think they have mid eyelets. They are off a (’95) Kilaeua though.!!

Gunz
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice and piece of mind. Mine don’t have eyelets but there seem to be pleanty of adaptor kits. Love those Tubus racks but they’re a bit out of my price bracket.

Gunz
    Free Member

Al, how do you find them in use? I’ve been looking at the CTC forum and they reckon that a front rack without an over wheel strengthening bar is an accident waiting to happen when the panniers twist (some quite scary photos have accompanied these threads).

steezysix
    Free Member

kbomb
    Free Member

I’ve done about 4,000 miles on one of those Axiom front racks, with 2 fully loaded large panniers, and have been pretty impressed. Only roads and canal towpaths, but its been good. If you use some padding and electrical tape around the fork, and get the adaptor nice and tight, they won’t swing into anything. Make sure you do a trial run at home before you go touring, to check they are properly attached, and take a 10mm spanner so you can tighten the fastenings if needed.

If you’re just doing casual touring anywhere fairly civilised, it does the job very well. If you’re going more remote, or mega long distance, go for something steel so you could get it welded if it breaks.

Gunz
    Free Member

Many thanks for the advice everyone, I’ll get shopping. Just got to convince the kids that camping is better than Disneyland now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Front pannier rack advice’ is closed to new replies.