Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Front mudguard safety mount things – 'elf and safety gone mad? or not?
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

OK, so i mounting my full length mudguards and theres a little rain at the moment. The safety catch things on the front mounts are pretty annoying as i'm trying to set them up with disc brakes.
    Are they actually necessary??
    i assume should the mudguards catch on something, they'll break off, but i can't see this happening. I mean if get a stick or something gets in the spokes, its just going to hit the fork anyway isn't it??

paulosoxo
    Free Member

It's more to break the guard away should you jam something between the guard and tyre

Del

someone posted a picture here some time ago. he'd used the breakaway things at the back, on his pompino, so he could get the wheel out more easily in the event of a puncture. something had got between front wheel and guard, and the whole mudguard from bottom to fork had folded up under the fork arch. this brought the bike to rather a sunden stop…

epicyclo

I once woke up in the middle of a wet road at night wondering what I was doing there. My front mudguard had crumpled and jammed under the fork bridge. Presumably something got in there.

I'm a believer in breakaway fittings and I haven't clipped in since 🙂

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

managed to bodge it with the break-away things still on so i guess my face is still safe(er).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Front mudguard safety mount things – 'elf and safety gone mad? or not?’ is closed to new replies.