Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Front mudguard
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a front MTB crud stopper?

The DT ones work a little bit in stopping some getting on your legs, but not your face.

What about the steerer tube mounted ones, such as this one from Planet-X?

mtbfix

I have Crud Catchers on some of my bikes and they do a fair job and do not interfere with forks. The best one I have is a Topeak Defender M1 but this only works with forks with a forward facing arch. Pace and Magura users need not apply.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Crud on the downtube, then a Pissflap/Beefcurtain* on the fork.

* Cut down inner tube between crown and fork arch, stops the spray coming out the front. The two varieties relate to the amount of travel you have!

The new Crud handlbar mounted one looks "interesting". Think I might be trying one on the Enduro this year, though.

singlespeedstu

You might find that you have trouble with steerer tube mounted mudguards and bigboys wheels though mate.

They have the wrong profile and rub the tyre when your fork bottoms out.

psychle
    Free Member

Ooooo, I like the look of that 'Fast Fender', might solve my eternal search for a decent front mudguard!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies

Spaghetti – point taken, I did have one of these from THE a year or so back on the waggon wheel bike which did rub the tyre on full fork compression.

I played with it and bent the mount a little and it was liveable with

Have to say it was brilliant in stopping ALL crud completely from getting in your eyes/face and to a large degree legs. No need for glasses.

Only down side was you couldn't see the front wheel! A little disconcerting

Just wondering what everyone was using…

singlespeedstu

I use a crud catcher and a big tin of MTFU. 😉

MicArms

You could see your wheels from space, Nige, so I doubt a little bit of plastic could obscure your vision that much!! I use the Topeak defender mudguards, but am forever braeking the clips that sit in the sterrer tube or actually leaving the **** mudguard in the back of the car…
    You over Clent tonight??

singlespeedstu

Nige is so tall i'm surprised he can see his wheels at all. 😀

jonb
    Free Member

I put a piece of plastic from an icecream tub on the brace of my forks. Looks marginally better than the innertube and works very well.

bonesetter
    Free Member

No Mick, there might be some mud over there and I haven't got my mudguards fitted yet

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I use a SKS shockboard which works very well and you can leave the mount on there all year as its so small.

james
    Free Member

A problem with some forward facing mudguards can be that they block your sight of the front wheel entirely (theres a topeak one that does at least)

I prefer one of these to keep mud/crap out of my face/eyes:

bonesetter
    Free Member

OK, that's what I'm going to go for, with a DT crud catcher.

Wonder what size I need for a 29er 120mm fork?

singlespeedstu

I tried one of those pissflap things.

It was about as usefull as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

Try riding the whites descent while blind in one eye and wrestling a tandem in the wet. I won't be doing that again. 😯

The THE mudguard will be going back on.

singlespeedstu

Wonder what size I need for a 29er 120mm fork?

A small.

I tried the medium one on my Reba and it was too long.

BruceK
    Free Member

Neoguard, as above, plus a crud catcher does the job for me. Keeps the worst of Bristol gloop out of my eyes at least.

Northwind

SKS Shockboard, if you want a mudguard that actually works. Crudcatchers are such a token effort, they're better than nothing but not by much. The Shockboard is a crown-mounted guard, but it's really small and low profile unlike the humungous THE- it doesn't look like a motorbike part. But because it tracks the wheel, it's still seriously effective. I love mine, I don't even mind how it looks.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

This is how well the sks one works.

and you can still see the front edge of your wheel for what thats worth.

Coleman
    Free Member

Another vote for SKS shockboard here – got one for all my bikes. Even got a red one.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Yes, I think I'm leaning toward agreement with you there Northwind.

The THE is just too big and wide. Just dug mine out of the shed.

Does a 1st class job it has to said, but obscures too much front wheel vision, and for me, I like to see mine and where it's going. Plus there's the motor cycle look 😕

So, I'll go Shockboard and try not to brake or lose the crown attacher

Now I just need some way of fixing a rear crud catcher to my Gravity Dropper

bonesetter
    Free Member

Blimey Owen – the head tube area is still gleaming!

Don't thing the THE on my old Enduro looked too bad – did a fantastic job too. Struggling to think of what to put on my new Enduro with it's E150 SL forks

owenfackrell
    Free Member

bonesetter – Member

yep thats how well they workit also helps the heatset to last. The one on that bike is coming up for its 4th winter and is still going strong and the latest ones have longer mount so that its held away from the crown so it won't rub.

bonesetter
    Free Member

owenfackrell – Member

bonesetter – Member

yep thats how well they workit also helps the heatset to last. The one on that bike is coming up for its 4th winter and is still going strong and the latest ones have longer mount so that its held away from the crown so it won't rub.

I'm sold mate!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Here's my THE on a Niner RIP 9 a year or so back

You can see how it obscures the front wheel/tyre view on this one

j-claw
    Free Member

Why are you people looking at your front wheel whilst riding? That's akin to staring at your shoes whilst running or concentrating on the end of your bonnet whilst driving on the motorway. ❓

bonesetter
    Free Member

Ahh, it's in the peripheral vision only.

You 'look' ahead, but 'see' close, up and coming obstacles near your tyre…

singlespeedstu

Why are you people looking at your front wheel whilst riding?

I can only see one person on this thread saying he does that.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

This thing:

[/url]Mucky Nutz

is fantastic. Really works and very light. Plus you can use it on Spesh forks which have a solid crown with no hole down the steerer.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Aye – why do you need to see your front tyre?

I have both the beefcurtain / crudcatcher on one bike and a steerer mounted one on another – not much to chose between then really – both just work.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

boriselbrus-take it you have one? Since seeing one I had been contemplating emulating the effect with pop/fabric conditioner bottle plastic and tie-wraps but for 7 quid, if it does actually work I guess I could take the plunge.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Yes, I have one and it works a treat. I have a crud guard type thing as well which was great at keeping the crap off me, but the mud still flew off the front tyre in to my eyes. The mucky nutz thing stops that completely.

Kahurangi

Boris – that thing looks really neat, and like one could make one incredibly easy out of a milk carton. If it wasn't for the fact that I have just (this hour) put a MRP type tyre guard one I'd have a go.

Maybe for the other bike… 😀

iainc

have a crud guard type thing as well which

maybe daft question…..- but do you keep the crud catcher on as well or have you taken it off – I can't see that thing working too well on it's own ??

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Mud in the face is my main affliction, muddy wet legs kind of happen anyway so it looks like a bender fender could be mocked up, or added to my Christmas list…
    EDIT- boris, you used it in really claggy stuff? I assume in sticky stuff it accelerates the"loads of shit on the fork brace" effect. Easy to whip off though I guess.

On-oneplus26

I assume in sticky stuff it accelerates the"loads of shit on the fork brace" effect.

Check the photos in the team section of the muckynutz website. You can see that there is no real change in the clearence for mud as it is only half a mm thick. Also I recon that it could act as a nice smooth guide for mud to slide over and mud can't reach the fork brace as the fender covers it.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

It might just slip through, or it might be like trying to shove mud through a funnel. Was more interested in where the mud goes, as obviously it won't end up on the brace.
    Still looks worth a punt to find out what it's like though.

z1ppy

I have the SKS shockboards and they are pretty good, but "Crud on the downtube, then a Pissflap/Beefcurtain on the fork" work suprisingly well, though one without the other is completely useless IME.

darwinius
    Free Member

boriselbrus – thanks for mentioning and 'bigging up' the bender fender.

Regarding the 'where does the mud go' question – it catches on the underside of the fender with any excess being picked up by the tread and carried out the front. Alternatively, it drops off during your ride. As On-oneplus26 rightly says "mud can't reach the fork brace as the fender covers it". This is shown better on these photos.

We've even been fitting them to our full sus bikes as a rear sus guard. It works a treat here as well. Arrangement dependant, obviously.

Another popular mtb website will be posting a review in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, you can check out our website http://www.muckynutz.com for more info. Cheers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Front mudguard’ is closed to new replies.