• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by igm.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Front mud guard – what to get
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Got one on the back that keeps the shock clean.

After being sprayed in the face with mud as my front tyres cleaned up, I wished that I had a mudguard there, but not sure how it would attach as there isn't much there to attach too.

I did see someone recently with what looked like a fabric one attached to their forks, but not sure how it worked.

I'm not a great fan of mud in my mouth. Always find it a bit gritty for my taste.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I use the RRP neoprene guard that fits between the fork crowns. On wet/muddy rides, I add a Crud Catcher to the down tube. The RRP guard does pretty much everything a standard, sticking-out-the-front guard does only looks, in my opinion, much neater.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Not used one myself, but this is what you're referring to:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/RapidRacerProducts_RapidRacerProducts_NeoGuard_Standard_Neoprene_Mudguard/5360042909

There's 40 reviews by customers on there so have a read through 🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

Couldn't get a crud catcher to fit my frame. it would need massive laky bands or zip ties

gothandy

As above … I just fitted a Mucky Nutz Bender Fender … cheap as chips, light weight and subtle.

http://www.muckynutz.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=24&product_id=76

I can tell you after ride tomorrow if it actually works or not!

mangatank
    Free Member

I've recently bought a rear, downtube and fender Crud catcher and they are the most dismal set of bike products I've owned. The rear crud is extremely badly designed ( I had to cut it off in the end), the downtube is over long and doesn't take cable routing into account, and the front fender is a permanent fixture due to the fiddely screws.

I've gone back to an SKS mudboard for the front amd one of their rear guards. They go on and off in seconds and work perfectly.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I bought the Steve Peat-endorsed front fender and downtube crud catcher last year, and I'd say it was the best 16 quid I ever spent!

As a contact lens wearer, I have terrible problems with shit in eyes, steamed up clear glasses etc. The fender/crud catcher kept me riding through the winter and I didn't even need my glasses most of the time.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Easy enough to make a neo type gaurd from an old inner tube … had one on a PA for 3 years, it works a treat and doesn't stand out, you don't notice it … apart from not having a face full of shit.

nuke

SKS Shockboard. Works well, looks a bit shit…

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/SKS_Shockboard_Front_Mudguard/5300004091/

MrNutt
    Free Member

I've gone with the trusty cut up innertube option, works a treat (prompted by a watery dog egg encounter!)

avdave2

I've got the Bender Fender and so far it seems very good. I like the fact that it does a good job of protecting the stanchions and the headset. I made a inner tube neoguard type thing and while it does keep stuff out of your face it directs even more crap onto your forks.

spock
    Free Member

Just make one out of an old inner tube, works perfectly

Xylene
    Free Member

avdave 2 – how did the mudguard work out?

igm

Bender Fender works, as does NeoGuard, as does chopped up inner tube (a la NeoGuard) and I suspect chopped up milk carton (a la Bender Fender). The Bender Fender also keeps a lot of mud off the fork seals, which the NeoGuard doesn't.

Best of all these solutions are all unobtrusive enough to leave on all year

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Front mud guard – what to get’ is closed to new replies.