Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • front mech/rear tyre problem
  • singletrackstinker
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a new rear wheel after demolishing the last.

The new one is a mavic en321 which is wider than my old dt swiss rim. As a result the rear tyre now comes up bigger than before.

When I drop down to the granny ring the front mech fouls on the tyre.

At the moment I’ve wound the stopper screw in so that it doesn’t foul but any buckle in the wheel and I’ll probably lose the mech. Currently have less than 5mm clearance.

So, solutions?

I’d prefer not to replace the back tyre…

Thought about twisting the mech round a little but im not convinced that will fix the problem. Anyone done this?

Or, another option – Just put a new bb on and that came with some plastic washers which look like they’re for frames which are narrower than the bb. Wondering about slipping one in on the drive side to push the cranks out a little which then means I can set the mech futher out. But…. I think this will cause problems with the two sides of the bb joining up. Will this kill the bb?

andyl
    Free Member

Do you have a spacer on the non-drive side? If so then move it over to the drive side and re-adjust your FD. You should also check the FD is aligned straight inline with the frame/chainrings as if it tails in a bit it will foul.

You can’t add extra spacers as it will mess up the spline engagement on the cranks.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Hi andy,

No spacer. Will check alignment and see if I can turn it out slightly.

Otherwise I guess it’s back to a 2.1 on the back.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘front mech/rear tyre problem’ is closed to new replies.