Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Front mech setup when removing a big ring
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Just replaced the big ring from a triple with a bash (yes I know, I’m 10 years behind the times) and was wondering what one does with one’s front mech:

– Move it down closer to the middle ring?
    – Move it all the way down so it’s as close to the middle as it was to the big?
    – Just leave it where it is?

scotroutes

Leave it where it is.

Think about it – on a E-type or Direct Mount fitting it can’t be changed anyway 🙂

Tracey

We just left ours where it was. Worked fine on them all.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Crank the high stop out all the way and leave it.

And then leave it 6months and do a 1 x conversion with a taco

molgrips
    Free Member

Nah it’s going to stay 2x cos it’s 9sp and I’m a) not splashing out on a new shifter and mech, and b) like getting cassettes for £25.

scruff9252

I left the FD where it was on mine. It does look daft with a big gap between the mech and the middle ring. if I drop it any lower it fouls the swing arm.

Would a double mech be lower profile / better fit the 32t chainring without fouling the swing arm?

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm maybe. It worked with the mech in its original position, of course – cos the two rings were still where they were. But then it looked odd, so I moved it down a random amount and it still works.. I think maybe I get better chain/cage clearance and in the little ring the chain no longer rubs on the bottom of the cage when the suspension is extended.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

When I did this I found the chain would bounce off on fast rough descents. I lowered it as much as possible and it has been much better. Does a double specific have a different shape which results in less of a gap?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Front mech setup when removing a big ring’ is closed to new replies.