Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Front mech question – Fargo
  • charliemort

Hi

I fitted a new front mech (XT 9 speed triple) to my Fargo but it won’t shift onto big ring

mech had a 34.9 clamp and came with a shim to reduce to 31.6 (I think). This was too big so I fitted my existing thicker shim for my 28.6 frame tube

I suspect I need a different clamp size? I assumed any mech would work with the correct shim but looks like I was wrong…..

thanks

commander
    Free Member

What shifters are you using. If they are road drop bar stis then the cable pull is different from the pull needed to successfully shift a mountain mech. Lots of fiddling or a bit of modifying to the mech where the cable bolts to it can sort it, or you can get a cable pull pulley which adjusts the pull from sjs cycles.
    I’m on my 4th Fargo, they are ace but until recently when shimano road disks etc became available setting gears up was a pain, my current one is all sram as their cable pull doesn’t differ from road to mountain.

charliemort

they are bar end shifters so I assume road pull

but old mech worked fine (it was an xtr)

cynic-al
    Free Member

The shim sounds fine, the bar end shifter should work too, nothing obvious wrong.

Chain line? Mech compatible with chainring sizes, mounted properly?

commander
    Free Member

If its bar end (sensible choice..) you should be having no problems at all.

You’re not like me and made easy mistakes have you, the limit screws have been unwound enough to let the mech throw outwards far enough?

ratherbeintobago

As an aside, the 2016 red looks very nice:

GregMay
    Free Member

No reason a MTB front mech won’t run with a road shifter – especially friction one. I’ve road shifters and MTB mechs on my Fargo. Zero problems. SRAM…

charliemort

ermm I had the cable clamp wrong way round and it was jamming the mech – 😳

note to self – don’t do mechanic-ing at night

GregMay
    Free Member

D’oh….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Front mech question – Fargo’ is closed to new replies.