Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Front mech height
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Evening, replacing my x7 with an x9 front mech. However after looking at park tools site it says I should have about 2mm gap between the top of the tooth to the bottom of the outer cage plate. However mine sits much higher. Will I have issues shifting? The mech appeas to be the same setup as the x7. So is the height difference going to cause a major problem?

I was bought the x9 as a gift so not a necessary upgrade but got given so would be rude not too!

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

Can you not lower it? I’d give it about 4mm. 2mm seems a bit close but we are splitting hairs here. Up to about 8mm should be fine.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I have mine about 4mm high, mainly to allow the inner mech plate to clear the middle ring, any lower and it catches. (36t middle, 46t outer)

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

No cant go any lower as it catches on the frame, it’s a gr zaskar FS so the mech attaches to a little nub.

Running a 2×10 so no clearance issues on the middle ring.

Taff
    Free Member

2mm here, 3mm max. Never had shifting issues but never deviated from that approach in 15yrs of riding

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

2mm park tools says is right (grammatically incorrect I know), issue is that mine is going to be greater than that.

Also should I have a med cage mech on a 2×10 setup?

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I’ve got an Xgen which seems to have a much higher mounting point than equivalent shimano mechs.

If I go for a 2mm gap as per recommendations then the outer plate catches the chainring teeth when shifting down. I have 4-5mm gap on mine.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

If I go for a 2mm gap as per recommendations then the outer plate catches the chainring teeth when shifting down. I have 4-5mm gap on mine.

If your outer cage plate is 2mm higher than the top of your big ring how can it catch it when shifting down ?

toppers3933
    Free Member

on a double set up its less crucial. suck it and see.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

If your outer cage plate is 2mm higher than the top of your big ring how can it catch it when shifting down ?

Can’t remember without having it in front of me. Seem to recall that the “downward” component of the mech swing catches the teeth before it has moved in enough.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Front mech height’ is closed to new replies.