Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Front mech for 36T double
  • sok

I’m after a front mech for a 2×10 double which I’ll be running with a 36T big ring (I know, I know – but weedy legs and big wheels).

The blurb from Shimano states the mech does 38-44T. Has anyone tried one on a 36T with any success or is it better to go for a triple mech?

Thanks y’all

svalgis
    Free Member

I’ll be running with a 36T big ring (I know, I know – but weedy legs and big wheels).

36 or 38 is what most “trail” setups would use. It’s very common.

Has anyone tried one on a 36T with any success

Yes. Go for it.

perthmtb
    Free Member

The SLX M665/7 double was specifically designed for a 36T, but its 9 speed. Imagine any of the 10sp double FDs will cope, just won’t quite match the curve of the chainring thats all…

cookeaa

36/22 using a standard SLX double mech here (9 speed)…

From memory so long as you have no more than 14T difference between the two rings (i.e. 22/36, 24/38, 26/40, etc) then it’ll be fine, I think that still holds true for the 10 speed kit, someone will be along to tell me I’m wrong soon though…

ndthornton
    Free Member

Iv run Shimano double and bash for years now on both my hard tail and full suss. 36×22 on the front 34X11 on the back – standard XT equipment but with a medium cage rear mech.

I found it great on my light weight hardtail and sticking with it. However on my heavy 160mm all mountain rig I wasnt totaly happy.

Reasons are…..

The ratios I mentioned above are 2T above recommendations for the medium cage rear mech – It works fine on the hard tail but with the extra chain growth of a full suss its never been ideal and you have to be careful with gear combinations.

I found the 36T ring a bit big for the heavy bike anyway and found myself in the granny ring more than I would like – once again the ratio is perfect for the sprightly hardtail.

36 to 22 is a big jump for the chain to make when shifting and I do occasionally loose the chain. As long as you remember to peddle carefully while doing it its ok though.

So – Im keeping the hardtail setup but Iv switched the Full suss bike to 34×22 and 34×11 – Iv also gone 10 speed with XT clutch mech.

Initial thoughts – perfection

sok

Sounds like I should just get on with it then. Thanks

andyl
    Free Member

Unless there is a new 10 speed one the old 9 speed 22-36T SLX FD would be the best bet. It should work fine with a 10 speed shifter.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Front mech for 36T double’ is closed to new replies.