Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • front mech compatibility issues
  • xherbivorex
    Free Member

righto, i need to get a front mech that'll work with sram x9 shifters and a truvativ stylo AM double + bash setup… will any x9 mech work with this (as long as the pull matches my frame, obviously)?
    also, how do i set the mech and shifter up to run with the double chainring? or does it just work?
    i'm a bit clueless when it comes to front shifting stuff and i'm in the process of altering the build on my hardtail as cheaply as i can while still retaining reasonably decent spec.
    cheers.

jova54
    Free Member

When I replaced my front triple with a double and bash all I did was drop it down the frame a bit so that there was a 3mm gap between the cage and the top of the largest chain ring with the shifters set on 2, (although this wasn't strictly necessary) and then screwed the limit screw in so that it wouldn't shift up onto the missing big ring.

I presume you don't have a front shifter on the frame at the moment?

nbt

I think front mechs are interchangeable – SRAM and shimano both have the same actuation ratio at the front, but at the back they're different so you can't mix and natch

as for running a double chainset with a triple shifter, all I did was adjust the limit screws so the mech wouldn't move all the way out

xherbivorex
    Free Member

I presume you don't have a front shifter on the frame at the moment?

correct, but i have a pair of x9 shifters waiting to go on (already had SRAM rear mech and i prefer SRAM's shifting to shimano's).

jules, i thought that too; my norco has x9 shifters and rear mech with a deore front mech and the same chainset as i'm putting on the stiffee but i tried putting a deore front mech on steph's kona last week with the same shifters but it refused to set up so i ended up sticking a SRAM front mech on there instead… it's weird really, but i guess in theory the mech i was using could have been bent or something as it was second hand… it looks straight though. i dunno. think i'll play it safe and get another x9 front for the cove too… i was more concerned about how to stop it overshifting though, makes sense that the limit screws prevent that happening.
    cheers chaps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘front mech compatibility issues’ is closed to new replies.