Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Front Light… Recommend me the Brightest (and most useful beam) for around £300
  • adi66
    Free Member

Just having to start to work on a different site to my usual 6 mile commute… getting there will involve a 14 mile each way trip down some fairly quiet unlit country lanes (so I avoid the direct A road route – and certain death!)

So I’m after a good light weight set of front lights that are (or have the ability to go) VERY bright as they will also be used off road.

I have a Magic Shine-a-like thats’ great for the normal commute, but the beam is a bit penciily for my liking – so its a helmet lamp only now.

So what can I get for £300 or under ?

Been thinking about some boosted Ay-Ups ?

DezB
    Free Member
    galactus
    Free Member

If I had the money I would definately get Troute lights!
    Best of the best 😀

scruff
    Free Member
    FuzzyWuzzy

If it were just for the commute I’d say Exposure Strada but as you’re using it off-road as well then I agree with scruff you’re better off with something light a Lumenator

DrP

Exposure Maxx-D?
    All in one jobbie so great for commuting (simply unclip and go), and plenty bright enough too.

DrP

marcus7
    Free Member

Used my seca 800 for the first time on Mon night at delamere and was very impressed, not cheap (£300 ish) though but impressive all the same.

ourmaninthenorth

I used to do similar, and just used my Lumicycle LED3 (spot beam). Was plenty.

Don’t discount the main road if it is wide and lit, as country lanes can be hairy when the cagers aren’t paying attention.

And don’t forget to light yourself at the back and side. And plenty of reflectives.

adi66
    Free Member

scruff, are they the “glow worm” lights ?

What’s the difference between the XML-T6 & T2 lights ? would they not be equivalent to 2 x magic shine a likes as in Dez-B’s post ?

Anyone gone from a magic-shine-a-like to a MTB batteries light? what’s the visible by your eyes difference ?

Ta

alex222
    Free Member

second for the mtbbatteries illuminator. Only problem I have had with them is that the flashing mode is way to fast; it hurts my eyes its should be 25% of the current flashing setting.

adi66
    Free Member

What’s the difference between the XML-T6 & (edit) U2 lights ? would they not be equivalent to 2 x magic shine a likes as in Dez-B’s post ?

Anyone gone from a magic-shine-a-like to a MTB batteries light? what’s the visible by your eyes difference ?

Ta

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Ayups are pretty well priced if you ship them directly from oz.

AlexSimon

If you are happy with separate battery packs:
    http://troutie.com/Products/Detail/Darkness-Dominator

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/the-lumenator

http://www.bikelightsuk.com/front_bike_lights/fluxient_3xu2_3000_lumen_bike_light_P593.html

Or the Magicshine mj-880

If you don’t want a battery pack, then you’re still looking at the Exposure Six Pack or Maxx-D.

scruff
    Free Member

Yep. cant comment on other stuff only had Lumi & Lupine before.

scruff
    Free Member

Oh, and I think the small exposure lights like Diablo are great but the big ones are useless offroad as the clamps things are not strong enough for the weight and break far too easily in a crash, in the dark, miles from home, on your own, with an owl…

anc
    Free Member

Planet X have some L&M seca 800’s on offer for £200, one of the best beam patterns in the business.

Jerome
    Free Member

Considered a dynamo ?
    Rob dean is a big advocate of these..

ChrisHeath

I use a Maxx-D on the bars, and a Diablo on my head. Both have survived a few crashes unscathed.

If I was starting again and getting another bar mounted light, I’d get another Maxx-D. The lack of a batery pack really makes it quick and easy to remove the whole lot from the bike, which is what I’d be after if it was also used for commuting.

adi66
    Free Member

with an owl…

… that reminds me got chased by a Owl whilst in Oz, and cycling through the bush at night with a buddy – apparently the owl frequents a spot on the trail and as the cyclists pass he follows them – really close to your shoulder… Reason is that the clever lil thing had worked out that all sorts of flying bugs are attracted by the bright lights, so following you gets hi a easy dinner !

Separate batteries all the way for me I think… anyone got any direct or against your mates experience of the 3xU2 lights V’s Luminator / Glowworm ?

adi66
    Free Member

Considered a dynamo ?

Is there such a thing as a Effin bright Dynamo light ?

… I have Crank Brothers Wheels too ! (please don’t tell me there crap- and your mates mates auntie knows someone that had a set fall apart, my set are great ! )

RustyMac

In addition to AlexSimon’s links you should check out the Luminous lighs site.

http://www.luminouslights.co.uk/index.html

Luminous does both battery inside lights and external battery units.

scruff
    Free Member

adi66-
    I had a bat land on my arm once presumably after the moths in my beam. I had to stifle my scream, could feel its claws n’evryfink.

adi66
    Free Member

Just found this lil site: Very handy !

compare the lights

DezB
    Free Member

That’s an interesting site!
    Has to be the Troutie or the L&M Seca if you’re spending big dosh.

“Six leds with three different types of lens give produce a wide spread beam giving even illumination from literally under the front wheel to mid distance.”

“A different approach from Light and Motion. 3 leds produce the throw and 3 leds produce the spread. And the result is pretty near perfect.”

Still think £300 is silly money, personally.

adi66
    Free Member

DezB

Yeah £300 is silly money, but my last expensive lights where great, and lasted for a good 4 years – Brightstar Max (mag) Levin HID lights… BIG HEAVY, but flipping awesome throw, and brightness ! but sadly the batteries are a bit dead, and the lamp units have started to crack, and the wires are breaking where they flex. Booo Hooo

At the moment i’m looking at the Flucient 3XU2 at £133 !! 😯 as its got a 2 year guarantee and all that and is as bright as the £600 Niterider. They seem like a absolute bargain.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

The four4th Holy Moses did well in a recent Cycling Weekly test.

cooie

The Troutie Darkness Dominator is stupidly bright.
    Had a demo of the prototype and a mate has one.
    Would have bought one myself, had I not got my Vision 4 converted by Trout
    He may still have a demo available.

adi66
    Free Member

cooie

does he loan out the demo’s then ?

cooie

Well he did when it was the proto. He may still have it.
    Worth a try, it really is the dogs 😀

adi66
    Free Member

as bright as the fluxient on the link i posted above ? that thing looks mental on FULL power !

jools182
    Free Member

scruff – Member

with an owl…

brilliant sketch 🙂

trout
    Free Member

Mmm never seen that review before good stuff
    and I even see a Lib in there 😀 not too shabby either .

I would not recommend the Dominator for road commute it is a bit too wide and would dazzle oncoming traffic as I fear would the Fluxient .

From my stuff I would use a spider either on the bars or the helmet
    though the helmet would be better so as to turn it slightly when faced with oncoming traffic

WMB review Price and weight are wrong though

and beamshot

Yes I could rustle up a demo no problem had the original floating around all last year

cooie

I would say it’s as bright 😀

You really can’t appreciate how bright ’til you use one.
    My Vision 4 is now 2000 lumens, the Dominator is 2600 😯

adi66
    Free Member

Mr trout. So how bright and how much does a spider eyes cost .?

Cheers A

adi66
    Free Member

Cheers cream egg. Jus t been looking there..

CountZero

Bloody hell! That beam shot is staggering 😯

garage-dweller

Bought a maxx d on Monday. Not yet ridden due to mix up with ride start point last night but liked that it was one piece and british company, trying to do my bit for the economic recovery! Exposure stuff popular in my usual group so thought that was a good sign.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just bought the wife a v4 Ay-up set. She’s loving them and with the Saxon caps, they’re very versatile.

Mugboo

You should try riding with Troutie behind you…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Front Light… Recommend me the Brightest (and most useful beam) for around £300’ is closed to new replies.