Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Front light mount level with headtube or lower?
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

On the commuter, I have a child seat on the back on some days. On those days, I take my work clothes etc. in a bar mounted bag, on a klickfix bracket. The problem with that is that it obstructs the width of the bars where I used to put my front light.

As dark days approach, I’m trying to work out a location to mount the light – an mtbbatteries XML effort with the elasticated loop fitting – that will clear the underside of the bag.

I’m thinking a bracket that drops onto the steerer and protrudes down in front of the headtube (with a piece of “handlebar” tube for the light to go on) would do the job, but I can’t find one suitable. Other than that, maybe a bracket that mounts on the fork crown, though I need to check if that’s actually an option on my Pompetamine fork…

Any other bright ( 😀 ) ideas?

wwaswas

attach it to the bar bag?

molgrips
    Free Member

a bar mounted bag, on a klickfix bracket

I used one of these – the holder to carry my rucksack (for sale if anyone wants it) but I had problems mounting my light. Ended up putting it on the fork leg, with a small flasher on the rack.

No satisfactory solution was found.

You might consider a pannier for your work stuff though.

theflatboy
    Free Member

ww – the bag does have a fabric loop for a light, but I can’t think of a good way of attaching the front light to it where it would point the right way and be secure…

mol – that’s discouraging!

edit – I do have a pannier ordinarily, the barbag is the solution to the clash between pannier and childseat, to avoid having to carry a bag on my body!

wwaswas

what make is it?

Cateye do specific clips;

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t think of a good way of attaching the front light to it where it would point the right way and be secure…

If you get a visibility light, rather than one intended for lighting your path, it should be wide-angle enough to work when clipped on your bag. The fork-mounted light I used was still plenty good enough for lighting my way.

Actually, I did manage to clip a flasher onto the frame of the bag holder I used.. the main reason I stopped using it was because of the weight of my particular bag affecting the steering.

scotroutes

Mount it above the bag?

Minoura (and probably others) do a handlebar extender – or make your own

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oJmMWj]DSC_0150[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

theflatboy
    Free Member

I do have one a bit like that, but the bag ends up quite tall with all my stuff in so it won’t clear the top. Hence I’m thinking better to clear the underneath instead…

CraigW
    Free Member

I think a fork crown mount would be best. Not sure if the Pompetamine forks have a bolt hole on the crown? If not, shouldn’t be too hard to drill a hole.
    Then something like this bracket. http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/342/2945739501/bbb—unimount-front-bracket.html

scotroutes

Quite tall? Do you not have problems seeing over the top of it?

fasthaggis

On the forks ?
    From Ikea hackers 🙂

[url=http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/03/grundtal-fork-light-mount.html]hackers[/url]

molgrips
    Free Member
    fasthaggis

Thanks moli,I now want this,even though I don’t need it. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

Thanks, chaps – the SJS one is pretty much the best option I’d found, reckon I’ll go with that one. I’ll let you know how it pans out, I do think it will need a hole drilling in the fork, from memory…

drlex
    Free Member

My Pompetamine had a single hole in the rear of the fork crown; it was easy enough to drill through to the front and fix a fork crown bracket for the front light- SJS have a good selection.

m360
    Free Member

Topeak bar extender?

trout
    Free Member

On yer head one of these

Headlight

theflatboy
    Free Member

Wowsers – reminds me of this guy:

😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Front light mount level with headtube or lower?’ is closed to new replies.