Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Front light for under 50 squids
  • tetchypete
    Free Member

I’m looking for a front light that I can do some night time trail riding with. Not talking about full on 40mph downhill stuff but would like to be able to see where I’m going at normal trail speeds. Doesn’t need to last more than a couple of hours on a charge/set of batteries. Any suggestions?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

(older thread but follow ebay link and see similar items under the ended listing?)

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ebay-cree-xml-20-torch-out-of-the-box-pics-review

Couple of those, add a few brackets – comes in at about 32 quid I believe?

Only thing I can personally recommend is what I use – bought a used SS X2 with upgrades for your budget it – suits fine, more light than I use and long running times. Surely this time of year there are second hand deals to be had?

nickjb
    Free Member

Solarstorm X2 does for me. Lasts ok on the supplied battery as long as you don’t leave it on max the whole time; Its plenty bright enough of the lower settings. You’ll have enough change to upgrade the battery or buy another one if required.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ScottChegg
    Free Member

As above, Solarstorm X2 are ridiculously good for the money.

Plenty of uprated batteries around too.

brassneck

Alternative (though I do have a X” too!) is a Smart light that was doing the rounds recently. I can’t find a link, sorry, but it was 700 lumens (translating into proper off road bright enough), self contained battery (why I bought it) USB chargeable and about £30. As it’s so easy to snap on and off it’s the light I use the mos,t as a day extender rather than out and out night riding.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I have a Solarstorm X2 also, run with a sealed battery box and four quality 18650 batteries from torchy on ebay
    Roughly £40-45 all in.
    If you get an X2 and batteries I have a spare battery box, they normally take 7-10 days to come from China.

Davesport

**** bright

I saw one of these in action at Glenlivet. More light than any sane person needs. If it blows up….buy another. The only caveat is that I wouldn’t leave it charging unattended.

D.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Neither would I, that’s why I bought a uk charger.

tetchypete
    Free Member

Cheers Guys, the Solarstorm is certainly popular and pretty cheap, but I like the look of the one Davesport linked to as well. Maybe I’ll just buy both

fudge9202
    Free Member

I have this also, it’s a fantastic little light
    http://m.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_133573.html

kamenev
    Free Member

The yinding which fudge recommends is a great little light and has fantastic reviews. It definitely one of the better Chinese lights. Gearbest seem to be one of the better chinese companies to deal with. The guys from the MTBR Lights and Night Riding Forum have taken it apart and tested this particular light from the particular seller and can verify its quality. Check out the reviews over on MTBR.

Another light getting a lot of attention over on MTBR Lights and Night Riding forum is the Nitefighter BT40s. There is currently a group buy coupon which brings the light kit (i.e head and battery with charger) down to below $50. It has quality BAK cells and the lighthead is very good quality (better than the usual chinese cree quality). Head over the the MTBR forum and read group buy post and also review posts.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Front light for under 50 squids’ is closed to new replies.