Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Front helmet light for commuting suggestions
  • P7Pro

I’m looking for a front light for commuting to fit onto my helmet. Reading various articles and forums, including STW, the general consensus for requirements seems to be:

1. Constant beam that’s bright enough to see by.
    2. Not too bright, otherwise you’ll dazzle oncoming drivers. (which conflicts with point 1).
    3. Fits easily onto any helmet.
    4. Light weight.
    5. Light visible from each side.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a product that’s out there and that fits the above. Thanks.

tonyd

I just ordered the Exposure flash/flare combo with that in mind. Will helmet mount the flash and mount the flare on saddle rails, I also have other lights both front and rear.

The flash isn’t listed as helmet mountable but t’internet suggests it’ll fit the one for my joystick.

P7Pro

Thanks for the info tonyd. I wasn’t aware that the Flash would fit the Joystick helmet holder.

legend
    Free Member

How about one of these:

molgrips
    Free Member

No way would I use a helmet light for commuting. Look over your shoulder for something and you’re suddenly invisible. Very much not a good idea in a chaotic rush hour situation. Even worse than flashing.

And every time you look at a driver you’ll dazzle them, so they won’t be able to see bugger all for a few seconds. So you end up with a lot of people who can’t see very well trying to avoid someone who’s not lit up consistently. Even more of a bad idea.

Best commuter light I’ve had experience of is this:

Light and Motion Urban 300. On my bars!

tonyd

I’ll be using a helmet mounted exposure flash along with at least one bar mounted light so won’t be disappearing! One will blink, the other solid.

Flash is 110 Lumens max, not sure if that’s enough to blind a driver but wouldn’t think so. Just looked up the L&M, nice light, but 3 times the price of a flare. And 250 lumens so more chance of dazzling people?

Mine turned up today, just opened them, look nice! Batteries on charge so we’ll see…..

molgrips
    Free Member

I would use a small flasher for visibility on the head. One of those little buttons. No need for 110 lumens imo and anything designed for seeing WITH is going to be less good for being seen BY, because the beam will be narrow and you want the light spread everywhere for visibility.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Front helmet light for commuting suggestions’ is closed to new replies.