• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Front derailleur woes…
  • samej
    Free Member

I just built up a Kaffenback and decided to go for a mountain crankset with a 48 tooth outer ring, but got a road triple front derailleur. I was finding it very difficult to coax into the big ring, and so a bit of research tells me the derailleur is probably expecting a 45mm chainline while the crankset is probably 50mm. I assume this is enough to make it a pain to get into the big ring?

Anyway, so I dig out an old mountain front derailleur, only to find there isn’t enough room between the tyre and the seat tube for it to fit. Oh dear.

What are my options? It looks like I could potentially remove a bottom bracket spacer to gain 2.5 mm but think the axle is too long to remove both. If I put 2 spacers on the left will it cause any problems? Alternatively it looks like I might have to find the right derailleur, but before I add some more specimens to my rapidly expanding collection, are there any front derailleurs which might fit with the tyre so close, and be designed for a 50mm chainline?

Cheers

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Front derailleur woes…’ is closed to new replies.