Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Front derailleur issues – HELP!
  • dpoints
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve just purchased a Shimano XT top swing M780 front mech for my mtb (to run with an M780 3×10 crank), but I cannot get the mech over the outer ring…….
    I’ve tried adjusting the higher & lower screws, I’ve ensured the shifter is set to a triple chainring. The mech will travel if I push it with my finger, but not when connected to the bike (even under no cable tension)…..

Can anyone help?
    Cheers

wwaswas

If you’ve done everything on here: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustments

then might be worth getting some pics up but it does sound like the limit screws if the mech physically won’t move far enough. Even if it needed a bottom swing mech the top swiong should work if you just try and move it by hand.

dpoints
    Free Member

Thanks – the mech will move over the outer chain ring by hand, but just not using the shifter.

tmb467
    Free Member

Is your cable coming from underneath or from above?

If its from below then it must go up and over the cable guide to pull it from above

(Tho you’ve probably done this already – I’m only speaking from experience)

Pics might help

dpoints
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’ve looped the cable from below, between some guides then down through the lock screw – sounds like pics may help, so I’ll try and get some on here.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

If the mech will move by hand it sounds like a problem with the cable pull.

Sounds obvious but when it’s in the low position (shifter and mech), is the cable under tension?

If not you may need to tighten it up some by getting some pliers on the cable. Had exactly that problem with my wife’s bike the other night.

dpoints
    Free Member

Brilliant – I’ll try that now and come back to you…… Cheers

daveagiles
    Free Member

If not, take a photo for us to have a look.

Scapegoat

Also, was the shifter in low when you cabled it up?

sleigh62
    Free Member

did you replace anything else?

bb with extra spacer by any chance?

only similar experience I’ve had is the cable slipping through the clamp due to stripped threads or its not seated correctly in the shifter so doesn’t pull through properly.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Pull the trigger twice before tightening the cable.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Front derailleur issues – HELP!’ is closed to new replies.