Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • front derailleur for orange five
  • andybrad

Ok so was running turbine front rings on an orange 5 24/32/42 wanted to swap the outer 42 for a bash as i keep bending them on rocks that just seem to jump out at me on norland moor.

Not a problem. ring off bash guard on. All worked fine….. then i messed with it.

I thought i could switch the shifter to 2 speed mode so i wouldn’t shift into the bash guard by accident. This didn’t really work. After an hour of adjusting limits it worked in a fashion but it just wasn’t quite right. Back to 3 speed mode and adjusting the top limit gave me the result i was after but i didn’t think that changing to the 2 speed shifter would cause such issues. Any ideas why?

Anyhow. Looking at the derailleur it is very close to the rear tire when on the inner ring. In my mind there is not enough mud clearance between the edge of the cage and the tire (2.2 trail king) can you get a shorter cage front derailleur? is there any disadvantage of this?

cheers,

old_mtber
    Free Member

I’ve got the same tyres on my Five and the clearance is a bit tight but have never had any issues whatsoever with mud clogging the front mech.
    As long as you can shift up and down OK on the front I would not worry about it.
    Someone will be along soon to say you need 1X on the front to solve all problems. They may be right if you are young and fit – I’m not young anymore and my knees would never stand for it! 🙁

andybrad

snap. I need all the gears i can get (and preferably an engine)

the only issue i have is when riding in deep mud, hit a hill and im trying to keep my momentum going. I drop to the granny and the bloody thing gets stuck. next thing i know im walking….

… well thats the excuse im giving anyways.

Phil_H

Dual ring front mechs have a shorter cage, I use one on my five with a bash ring & it works fine.

dirtydog
    Free Member

What Phil said,

I’m also running a double specific front mech on my Five, it’s an XT FD-M785-10 and is paired with XT SL785 shifters in 2x mode, I have no issues with tyre clearance even when running a Minion 2.5.

I suspect the pull ratios are slightly different on 10 speed double specific front mechs as I couldn’t get the shifting right with a triple in 2X mode.

P.s also running a 36t bash.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘front derailleur for orange five’ is closed to new replies.