Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Front chainguide for 1*9. Help Please
  • rockymerlin
    Free Member

Hi there.

I’m looking at setting up (on a small budget) a 1*9.

I have an internal octalink bb, i’m wondering what chainguides would work with this bb configuration.

Thanks

Sam

warpcow
    Free Member

Ideally you should have an e-type octalink BB, but it’s not absolutely necessary. Pretty much any guide should work. You just might need to shim the guide out, or the chainring in (had to do this with an e.13 XCX and Middleburn cranks).

somafunk

If your doing it on the cheap i would use a seatube mounted guide such as this superstar device and remove links out of your chain to take up any slack and hopefully you’ll not throw your chain if your rear mech is held tight/under tension at all times, if you had 10spd you could have used a shimano shadow+ rear mech but as they use different “cable pull” ratio compared to 9spd mechs i guess your stuck with what you’ve got otherwise you may get away with removing your octalink bb and fitting one of these but i’d check with superstar to see if it would be compatible first.

gmex619
    Free Member

If your on a tight budget and want some tension fron dropping chains too go for a Blackspire Stinger. I’ve used them on 2 different bikes and it worked as well as my old LG1 plus it looks better as your cranks seem less cluttered.

JEJames sell for 21ish and CRC for about the same.

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Great , thanks.

I’m stuck with a long cage rear mech (9spd) and i’ll most probably opt for a frame mounted guide, thnks for your info !!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Front chainguide for 1*9. Help Please’ is closed to new replies.