Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • From Famine to Feast! Frame decisions!
  • Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Some of you will remember my moaning here:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-it-possible-to-get-a-sliding-drop-out-steel-frame-that-doesnt-weigh-a-ton

I've now learned that the Ti Sirius I've been waiting on and mucked about with for nigh on 5 months is actually on the way to the UK, but I also have the opportunity to get a Ti 456. Argh!

What a decision to have to make. Its one I'm struggling with TBH!

I'll be running either of them almost exclusively SS with a 120mm fork.

Weight of the Sirius is likely to be higher (about a pound lighter than their quoted R853 weight, so not a light Ti frame), but it has sliding dropouts so will be neat and tidy to SS. It also has a slightly longer head tube(15mm), which is a good thing for me to fit the bike.

However, a Ti 456 is, a Ti456, we all know its reputation and having ridden the steel version for 18months I know it rides well. It doesn't have sliding drop outs, so I'll continue to use a tensioner. Since its a second hand one, it'll be £100 cheaper than the Ti Sirius too. It has a slightly shorter head-tube too, which isn't quite so good, but is not insurmountable.

I'd welcome any thoughts to help me crystalise this tricky decision please!

lookmanohands
    Free Member

If you've ridden an on one before and got on with it, stick with what you know (and like)! I've just got a ti29er and it's sweeeeeeet. 😉 as for the headtube length, just put a couple of spacers under the stem.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

One of my riding buddies has the Ti29er. He loves it.

Me, I'm gravitating to the Ti456 at the moment.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘From Famine to Feast! Frame decisions!’ is closed to new replies.