Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • From android to Iphone – who has made the switch?
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Due an upgrade soon and looking at an Iphone 6s plus (from a galaxy s5)

Love the galaxy s5 but my Fiance has an Iphone 6s coming and i have gadget envy!! Plus obviously it would make life easier with imessage/face time etc.

Who has gone from android to iphone? What is the consensus? Will the ^s be any better than my S5?

iamanobody
    Free Member

Or would an S6 s7 be a better option??

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Both phones have similar apps.

Either one.

My 6S I just use emails/quick surf/ iMessage and FaceTime.

Cycle apps use too much power.

What else does the 6S do?

iamanobody
    Free Member

No need for bike stuff

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve swapped between various OS. From Android to iPhone all the apps you use will be much the same (but check the ones you use to be sure) and you will have iMessage etc as you say. You will find the iPhone interface boring with the homescreen lacking in the information you get from widgets. You will have an annoying period of familiarisation but once used to it no problem. But the OS is rather dull if functional.

iamanobody
    Free Member

in what way dull? Its a phone 😕

Rubber_Buccaneer

in what way dull? Its a phone

Android and Windows phone give you far more information on the home screen at a glance. For example you can see weather, time, emails, calendar and more at a glance if you choose to have those widgets/tiles and you can have them at whatever size you want. iPhone just gives you a screen full of icons with very limited information in the icons. I find that dull and annoying in so far as I have to open an app or at least swipe into another area to get more. Not a big issue but a difference and may not matter at all to you.

Drac

So it’s a bit like iOS notification screen which is available at a glance.

Rubber_Buccaneer

A glance or swipe? and how configurable?

Drac

Swipe down even if locked. Fairly but I must admit I’ve not tried it much.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Besides, I’m just pointing out differences. You can make your own mind up what matters to you and what you prefer.

Drac

They’re very much of a muchness, I stay with Apple as its the prouducts we have so work together well. I tried a Samsung ages back, well the wife did, it wasn’t great. They’ve come on since then though.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

in what way dull? Its a phone

Really? It’s a phone? That’s all it does? Why bother?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve flitted back and forth a few times, Apple for the win for me – Andriod is okay, but it still seems hindered by patent issues, two apps to do the same thing in a different way, functions that seem like workarounds etc – it’s okay if they’re cheap – but Galaxies are seriously expensive now. Storage is an issue too, yeah you can put an SD card in most of them, but it’s only any good for data, you can’t put apps or the OS on it so I was forever running out of storage and it ran like at dog.

Not that iPhones are perfect, mine doesn’t play nicely with my Fitbit, I suspect that’s not a technical issue, but a “why don’t you buy an iWatch” issue, and they still do that stupid thing of letting apps run in the background, hours, days, months even after you closed them – WHY? if I close it, close it – I shouldn’t have to manually close apps every other day to keep it running sweet.

Rubber_Buccaneer

you can put an SD card in most of them, but it’s only any good for data

The latest version of Android does allow you to incorporate the SD card with the built in memory (if you choose, there are benefits to keeping them separate too) which is handy for cheaper devices. For iPhone money you should be expecting a good chunk of memory in the phone though.

I can’t get evangelical about any OS though, they are too close to call and so long as you keep the important bits so they are available cross platform flitting from one to another isn’t a problem.

footflaps

What else does the 6S do?

Mine does the weekly shopping, cooks tea, feeds the cats and takes the bins out.

iamanobody
    Free Member

what about camera/screen options? How do they fair?

slackman99
    Free Member

I did exactly this, android to iPhone 6. Lasted all of 1 week before selling the iPhone and getting another android phone.

I’ve always been Android, daughter insists on an iPhone – I despise the restrictiveness of Apple products and one day my daughter will see the light

Cougar

We’re a mixed household. I have to use my missus’ iDevices and want to defenestrate them; she uses my Android devices and has a similar reaction.

Conclusion: Change Is Bad We Fear Change The Sky Is Falling.

jam-bo

WHY? if I close it, close it – I shouldn’t have to manually close apps every other day to keep it running sweet.

You don’t. Even Tim says so.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/03/10/force-quitting-apps-doesnt-help-battery/

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have both. Personal is Android, work is Apple.

Android is more intuitive, less restrictive and overall an easier operating system to work with.
    Apple is annoying, and just doesn’t learn from me. For example, every time I plug it in to my laptop to charge, it asks me the same question about access to photos. Every. Single. Time. Android asks once, then accepts my answer.

That aside, they’re both perfectly decent communication devices.

Rubber_Buccaneer

defenestrate

Good word and so obvious once I’d looked it up.

But change is good, you have to give things a go or you won’t know if you like them…..at least that’s what my PE teacher used to say

singlespeedstu

I have both. Personal is Android, work is Apple.

Android is more intuitive, less restrictive and overall an easier operating system to work with.
    This x 10

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stu and I agreeing on something?

Seriously?

*Cancels STW account and leaves, without any drama.*

😉

singlespeedstu

We must both be getting old…

Cougar

they still do that stupid thing of letting apps run in the background, hours, days, months even after you closed them – WHY?

That’s not how background tasks work. Leave them alone.

zer0c00l44
    Free Member

My son lost his iphone 6 so I had to get him a new phone, he got a Galaxy s6 for a change (because some of his friends had one) and he thinks its miles better than his old iphone and is very pleased, and thats coming from an iphone fanboy.

I hate iphones and think they are over priced flimsy under performing rubbish for what they cost and would rather not have a phone than buy one.

bigrich

the new S7 edge is meant to be the bestest thing ever.

badllama
    Free Member

My phone is Android works phone is Apple the iphone drives me up the **** wall!

Two examples
    Type a text and want to attach photos
    Android type your message then paper clip brows and attach photo.

IPhone
    Go into camera brows images select the ones you want, with the little blue ticks then type your text message but as you typing you text message at the end of line the text disappears. Delete what you though you had typed up to what you can see on screen press return type more of your message until the text disappears (return again so on and so forth).

On a web page want to go back to the previous page
    Android press the back button

Apple scroll all the way to the bottom of the web page until the back arrow appears to click on ……seriously! Or am i missing something?

scotroutes

If you’ve bought any Apps for your Android you’ll have to buy them again for your IPhone

jam-bo

Apple scroll all the way to the bottom of the web page until the back arrow appears to click on ……seriously! Or am i missing something?

Swipe right to go back
    Swipe left to go forward
    How much easier do you want it too be? 😉

With the photo messages, write the message in the message app, press the camera icon next to the message?

prawny

I flit back and forth every couple of years, I like that iPhones work almost all the time, but I like that android phones let me do what I want to do. I’m on an iPhone 6 at the moment but I’ll probably replace it with an android something or other next time as long as I can get one that is good but not massive.

badllama
    Free Member

jam bo
    Thank you for my iphone training 😀

I must admit with an office that is 90% female they looked at me like I’d landed from another planet when I told them I’d never used an iphone when I started the new job 🙂

jam-bo

no problem, pretty much all phones are pretty awesome these days.

I don’t really get the partisan thing, I’ve stuck with iPhone’s as I’m fundamentally lazy, when I get a new phone, I plug it in and five minutes later everything is there just like my old one but shinier, faster and lighter.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I have a Sony Xperia Z3 as my personal phone. Absolutely love it. Had a Z1 before this and loved that too so it was a no brainer.

Have an iPhone 5s for work. It’s the most hateful pos I’ve had phone-wise. It’s odd how I can feel so much hatred towards a phone but I do. Add in the fact it’s on ee and it’s just one great big world of pain.

spudly1979
    Free Member

Another one in the android personal, iphone work camp. I thought i’d really like the iphone, as i’ve been really impressed with my wife’s ipad. I don’t dislike it, in fact for some apps its very good – there’s a pdf editing app which is great for work and i think the strava app and calendar app are better on iphone than android.

The thing is, its all spoilt by the restrictiveness of the system. On android i can fiddle with so much more stuff and customise it to how i want it to work. Oh, and iphone keyboard is terrible. Android with swiftkey is sooooo much better. And before someone jumps in, i have swiftkey for iphone and it’s better, but is nowhere near as good as android.

Oh and you can setup so that android will update a new phone to be the same as your old phone – apps, settings etc.

richmars

And another personal Andriod,work Apple. The iphone 6 is a lovely bit of kit, but for me it’s too big. It’s also not 5-6 time better than the moto I have.

robvalentine

I use an iPhone, I have personally found it much more reliable than any android I have had, I always switch between android and iOS, and end up back at ios. I’ve tried to like android, but only HTC have worked for me, my sony z3 compact was terrible. Laggy, poor battery life (my iPhone 6 pissed all over it).

It really depends on what you are used to.

tallie
    Free Member

bad llama My phone is Android works phone is Apple the iphone drives me up the **** wall!

Two examples
    Type a text and want to attach photos
    Android type your message then paper clip brows and attach photo.

IPhone
    Go into camera brows images select the ones you want, with the little blue ticks then type your text message but as you typing you text message at the end of line the text disappears. Delete what you though you had typed up to what you can see on screen press return type more of your message until the text disappears (return again so on and so forth).

You’re missing something. To include a photo in a message – type the message then press the little camera icon and either browse to your photo or take a new one. To go back a page in Safari just swipe the screen with a slight downward motion and the back button appears. I thing your post just confirms that we like what we’re familiar with… I have to use a blackberry for work and can confirm that is particularly poor.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘From android to Iphone – who has made the switch?’ is closed to new replies.