Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Friston Forest – tell me about it
  • timnwild

If you were me, and you wanted to persuade a few of your Shoreham buds to get in the van, drive over to Friston and ride the best bits, where would you start?

I know parts of it are OOB for cycling as I’ve been walking there, but I don’t know much else. Anyone local who can help out?

ta

wwaswas

Would be happy to show you round stanmer one Sunday morning if you were interested tim.

rewski
    Free Member

I’ll be there this weekend at some point, it’s getting busier these days so other riders could point you in the right direction, there’s a facebook group too. I’ll be happy to email you a marked up map.

It’s a great ride to Friston on the SDW from Shoreham, but if you’re driving then I’d probably either head down the coast road and park at seven sisters or if you’re on the A27 come off at Polegate and head for Jevington, either park at pentlands or butchers hole.

timnwild

Thanks rewski – marked-up map would be great. timnwildATgmailDOTcom

VanHalen

When I rode in from the top of the alfriston climb last week there was no indication that there should be no bikes apart from the lack of trails!

The dh tracks are fun. Some decent gaps flyoffs. The last red xc descent from the top of snap hill is also suite fun but boggy in parts If slightly wet. Not been there for the best part of 15years so I was pleasently suprised.

I think there is quite a bit of hidden/non official trails. Don’t bother if its wet though as it will be gopping.

DrP

Keeps a secret eye on this potential ride activity…

DrP

rewski
    Free Member

Was pretty dry last weekend but yes parts can be sloppy if wet. Will try and get a map over lunchtime.

gp
    Free Member

rewski I’d like a map too, address in profile if that’s cool, thanks!

dantsw13

Park in Jevington car park, ride straight up the hill on the bridle way. As you enter the forest, take the cheeky trail on the left and keep following it!! 3 bomb holes and lots of fun.

YoGrant
    Free Member

Nice ride from shoreham to frisson and back, stuff the van.

crawf44
    Free Member

http://www.sxmtbstmaps.co.uk/content/files/ffmap2.pdf

Check Friston forest mtb Facebook group. I am sure someone would be up for showing you around.

rewski
    Free Member

Cheers crawf44, glad to say that’s pretty close to the map I created from memory at lunchtime.

dlr

Good map crawf44, has pretty much all of it, lots of other smaller tracks you can use to get back to the top etc. The Facebook group calls the climb Cardiac and Mortica as Medusa I believe. Not seend that 2nd bombhole off to the side of Stumpy, worth going off piste to check it out?

SO good there when its dry, lethal in the wet, like and ice rink! 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

@ Tim, did you make it over? Was out Sat and Sun, not many riders around, conditions as predicted are spot on.

wwaswas

he was riding from Shoreham yesterday – Lion Trail and the Steyning stuff was riding really well too 🙂

I manged to Strava most of the ride;

http://app.strava.com/activities/65348012

timnwild

No! But will try this Sunday if I can.

rewski
    Free Member

What’s the Lion Trail and Steyning like then, worth a visit?

wwaswas

they’re pretty good on the North Escarpment so some quite steep/technical bits – far more steep/technical stuff than Stanmer, for example

Lion Trail (first minute is singletrack run up then there’s a very fast section then some more singletrack)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzWhmbBcUpg[/video]

Steyning Blue;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbnllQiY5u0[/video]

there’s a red there too with some big drops/gaps.

Biggest problem is the climbs back up after, tbh – Chanctonbury is pretty long and steep to climb.

rewski
    Free Member

Very fast, that blue looks fun. Cheers

wwaswas

there’s a sunday morning ride from the foot bridge in Shoreham each week (8am start though!). I’m an irregular attender but tim’s there most weeks. Sure you’d be welcome to join it. As you can see from Strava, it’s a combination of Downland and some of the singletrack but it’s a nice balance.

rewski
    Free Member

might just do that, thanks.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Friston Forest – tell me about it’ is closed to new replies.