Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Frikkin honking of fag neighbours! Is ther nothing i can do?
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

Evening all,

This may seem petty to some people but the smell etc is horrendous!

I live in second floor flat and the people under me are obviously smokers (heavy), the smell coming up from the flat is disgusting! Our living room, kitchen, hallway and bathroom seriously stink.

While i understand that there has to be a bit of give and take surely i dont have to sit in my own house and just accept the stink! They slam doors aswell, very loudly, tv and music is loud, they came in at 1am the other morning just as i was leaving for work and the music and chat was a tad loud, why the heck should i work to pay for them to be twa## and sit around and sleep all day. I work very early shifts and the slamming and other guff keeps me awake, we have to sit with the windows open which is fine in summer but now the colder nights are in! Brrrrrr!

Im expecting a few mtfu’s but also hoping for some advice as to what i can do! Im not kidding..it is like they are smoking in out house..and they are stinking foreign cigarettes.

Help!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

take up smoking

john_drummer
    Free Member

move

Cougar

Dirty protest.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My ggodnewss – people smoking in their own flat – and coming in at 1 am. whatever next!

seriously how on earth is the smell getting into your flat from theirs? there should be no way it can. Ether should be no holes between the two flats. Is it through the windows?

_tom_
    Free Member

I thought it was illegal for people to smoke in rented flats? Maybe not.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I feel for you but given that people who smoke have absolutely no regard for their own health, their own bodies, their own oxygen system, then it is no surprise that they have no ability to think of others ay? Cancer will be their karma my friend I feel.

ojom
    Free Member

You can complain to the local council about this as anti social nuisance. It is a valid complaint.

I know this cause i did it once although Scotland may be different to where you are presuming you ain’t up here.

j_me
    Free Member

I thought it was illegal for people to smoke in rented flats?

No you can smoke at home, unless you are being burgled, as during the burglary your home is really the burglar’s workplace.

Markie
    Free Member

TJ

I once lived in a flat above heavy smokers and it always seemed like the smell came up through the floor… it wasn’t that you could tell when they’d lit up, just that the place always stank!

edited to chuckle at j_me

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Did anyone else read the title as “honky fags” in the american sense?

Markie
    Free Member

TJ, yep! My initial thought was that it was something to do with hoglike noises of love!

psychle
    Free Member

Same here… thought it was meant to be offensive to start with!

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah, I was expecting something homophobic.

mancjon
    Free Member

I feel for you but given that people who smoke have absolutely no regard for their own health, their own bodies, their own oxygen system, then it is no surprise that they have no ability to think of others ay? Cancer will be their karma my friend I feel.

Bit a sweeping statement there. So all smokers have no ability to think of others and you think cancer is their just reward ?

Compassionate sort of guy aren’t you ?

CaptJon
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with cigarette smoke for a period of time (fortunately very very short). I spoke to a colleague who is an ex-environmental health officer and he reckoned if the enjoyment of your property is being affected by neighbours speak to the council (after speaking to the neighbours, obviously).

re. noise – ear plugs are great.

Kuco

Just excessive slamming of the doors count as anti social behaviour.

RealMan
    Free Member

Compassionate sort of guy aren’t you ?

Why should smokers deserve compassion?

1981miked
    Free Member

It is an older property with a chimney, so im guessing the smell comes through thereb. It does seem like it comes up through the floor aswell.

To be fair tj, unless ur in the situation you wouldn’t understand. I start at 1am so go to bed a 8-9pm and when there is all that racket and reek it stops you fom sleeping, and as im driving and dealing with dangerous goods all day i need to be alert. It aint the coming in at 1am it is the noise that goes on after that.

I like a party as much as the next person but every night! Keep it to the weekends please!

We are hoping to move but nowt out there yet! :'(
    Im sure they will get theirs one day! Filth habit!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I love threads like this, brings out all the anti smoking facists! 🙄

1981miked
    Free Member

Tried ear plugs Jon and missed my 1am alarm for work! Ha ha.
    Had to scrap that idea.

grantway
    Free Member

Are you in a House converstion into flats?
    if so find out when the house was converted and see
    what building regulations have been complied too and have
    been carried out correctly.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Try just one then. You can use the pillow to block the other one, but you still hear your alarm.

mancjon
    Free Member

Just because someone smokes i would not wish cancer on them nor would i make assumptions about their personality. Everyone is different so to make the assumption that all smokers are the same is just bloody stupid to be honest.

Smokers should accept that if they smoke they increase their risk of cancer but that doesn’t mean i hope they all get cancer. To do so would be in my mind be extremely cruel ie. not very compassionate, hence my original comment.

1981miked
    Free Member

No just an old block of flatf built circa 1949, stone walls etc, they have a chimney stack that runs through all the properties so im guessing it is coming through there.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the smell still should not be coming up the chimney. Separate flues for each fireplace – there is something very wrong if it can get thru between flats.

Its not their fault you have to sleep at abnormal hours – I work night shifts so sleep thru the day – if noise annoys me I wear earplugs.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yup, I too was expecting a homophobic rant.

I thought, “excellent, things are really going to kick off on this thread”………you can imagine my disappointment 😐

Still, he made up for it with : “they are stinking foreign cigarettes”……..RACIST !!!!

richpips
    Free Member

:Pulls up a chair and lights a Gauloises Bleu:

Shadow
    Free Member

get yourself an oxygen tent

1981miked
    Free Member

i know that tj, but surely a little bit of respect is not much to ask!
    How about i come round and play loud music when ur trying to sleep and blow cigarette smoke through ur letter box?

Racist..no..foreign cigs being stronger than uk makes..yes!
    i shared with somebody who dated a girl who smoked some weird brand and they stunk like no other brand of cigarette i have smelt before!

Just weares you down after a while…why should i have to “put up with it”.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Perhaps because they’re human beings?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Buy a leaking fish tank?

RealMan
    Free Member

Perhaps because they’re human beings?

So are drug dealers and murderers..? Not that I’m comparing them to smokers, but feeling for someone just because they’re the same species as you seems a bit dumb.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have you tried speaking to them? Do they even know that they are being a nuisance?

epicyclo

Play bagpipes when they’re asleep and if they complain accuse them of racism 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

feeling for someone just because they’re the same species as you seems a bit dumb.

LOL !

mancjon
    Free Member

So are drug dealers and murderers..? Not that I’m comparing them to smokers, but feeling for someone just because they’re the same species as you seems a bit dumb.

But that’s the point, there are smokers and there are smokers. There are murderers and there are murderers eg.

if your family were killed by a person and you then went and exacted revenge by killing that person you are technically a murderer. Do you think you would not deserve compassion ?

that’s the problem with making the sort of statements you and the other poster i was responding to made.

1981miked
    Free Member

Ill buy a leaking fish tank tomorrow! Ha ha.
    Good idea epic! Very amusing…made me laugh. Ill go fire up the pipes and play flower of scotland on repeat all night..

Yes i spoke to them the other night tj, english is not they’re first language so not sure if they understood the nuisance to be honest.

I was going to write a letter but not sure if that is a bit…well demanding like a ransom letter.

user-removed
    Free Member

Moving may not be an altogether bad plan. There’s nothing worse than the place you call ‘home’ being an unpleasant place to be, whatever the cause.

Realman – are you for real, man? Why on earth wouldn’t you feel compassion for a smoker who, say, came home and found his house burnt to the ground whilst his dog and daughter were in it (assuming an unattended cigarette didn’t start the blaze)….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Dirty protest.

Yay! 🙂

I’m in!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Frikkin honking of fag neighbours! Is ther nothing i can do?’ is closed to new replies.