Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Friggin' creaking BB! – help
  • MrCrushrider
    Free Member

ok,

ive put my slx cranks and XT bb on my new frame – but for some reason i cannot stop it creaking!

ive fitted it properly and lubed all the righ bits and its all tightened up properly, but it just wont shut up!

what am i missing? more grease?

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I know you're probably right on the BB thing, but just checking you're absolutely sure it's the BB/Crank???

I spent ages putting on, taking off, putting on, taking off…..I think you're getting the picture…..the cranks and BB on my old SC Heckler and the creak turned out to be the rear mech hanger and the creak was travelling up the frame!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

actually – the new frame is a 2006 heckler! off to check the hamger now!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ltheisinger
    Free Member

Ah! Mine was a 2006 Heckler, couldn't solve the creak with grease etc (which isn't the best idea anyway, not for the mech hanger anyway!) – so a little tip that worked for me…..

I took the mech hanger off, got an old inner tube and cut a 'sort of washer' to the shape of the mech hanger where it meets the frame, put the mech hanger back on with the 'rubber washer' between the hanger and the frame & done it up tight…..

Bob's your uncle…no creak!

Might help??

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

thats a good tip, one for tomorrow morning though – ive spent too long trying to sort it today!

ive just tried tightening the hanger up and it wasnt that tight, but its still creaking so i'll defo give it a go in the morning.

i really does sound like the cranks though – did yours?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

by the way – that little bolt on the hanger – do you need to unscrew it to get the mech off? just wondering becuase i dont think i have an allen key that small!

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Certainly did sound like the cranks, and did exactly what you are doing! Wasted sooooo much time! After the cranks & BB I moved to the seat post & seat post clamp and even the main frame bearings & Shock bushes….how annoying? But I suppose it forced me to give the frame a complete service.

Even doing up the mech hanger didn't sort it…I had to use the rubber washer before it finally shut up! But it really did wind me up on every ride until I suss'd it out.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

thanks very much mate, just been playing round the hanger now and its making the creaking noise. defo going to get busy with the inner tube in the morning!

thanks again mate!

ltheisinger
    Free Member

No worries – I would hate to think of someone going through the same pain as me! 😀

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i think its gone! the next step was new bb – then new bearings!

really appreciate the info mate – how lucky was that!!

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Excellent! Glad to be of service…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Friggin' creaking BB! – help’ is closed to new replies.