• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Sanny.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Friend's worrying texts…suicide risk
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Got a friend who has a history of mental illness sending me worrying texts..shes alluded to killing herself in a number of these

Now maybe shes just after attention, i dont know. What I do know is shes got previous when it comers to thinking she can emotionally manipulate me when shes feeling low, and to be honest I’ve got enough on my plate as is. Shes a mate, but not a good one, and qwuite frankly I’ve had enough of her shit over the last 6 months, harsh as that sounds.

I dont have her address and I dont think shes registered with a local doc (despite me saying she should numerous times). She really shouldnt be my problem..is calling the police an option?

Junkyard
    Free Member

everything is an option[ though i doubt they would do anything*] do you know any of her friends who can deal with her at the moment?

* emergency mental health team though my one experience of dealing with them led to an official complaint from my organisation.

scud
    Free Member

If you have a genuine belief that she may harm itself, then yes i think Police is way forward, as hard as it is on you, if she did do something and you had ignored it, then it would be rough, it may be a cry for help and nothing else and if you get Police involved she may not like it, but sounds the best thing to do.

scud
    Free Member

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Yes contact police. They’ll send someone round for a welfare check to ensure she is ok.
    If she’s serious then hopefully she’ll get the professional help she needs.
    If she’s taking the pee out of you then a visit from the police will make her re-think her actions and hopefully stop crying wolf.

tjagain

Its very hard to unpick the real risk of suicide from the attention seeking

I think yo have to do something for the small risk it might be real. Closer friends, local MH team, police

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Tricky. tell her to stop texting you then she tops herself, how do you feel about it? But you don’t want to be manipulated. social services or police would be the way to go for gravity’s reasons

tpbiker
    Free Member

cheers folks..i dont know her mates, not sure she has that many close ones.

Whether she is serious or not i dont know but she has harmed herself before..

either way, unfortunately shes one messed up cookie..

enfht
    Free Member

My mate of 25 years killed himself two days ago on Wednesday. If there’s any chance she isn’t seeking attention then take her seriously as you may not get a second chance.

scud
    Free Member

If she has done it before and been treated, then local MH team may already “know” her and would take the messages seriously, but if you think the threat is an immediate one, call the Police, she can always be referred to MH team later. She may not like it, but she sounds like she needs help and is reaching out in her own strange way

thegreatape
    Free Member

Call the police. This sort of thing is is a routine part of our job. And we would much rather go and find we weren’t needed than not go and find out later we were.

nostoc
    Free Member

Sounds like a good friend of mine was like two months ago. She walked under a train. Do everything you can even though it may not work.

Poopscoop

If only for your own conscience call Police, or anyone else possible though that sounds limited.

I have some experience with the non existent mental health “care” the Tories have left us with. Still it’s better than nothing what so ever. The Police are basically doing what social workers used to do… Again, better than nothing though.

I wish you and the girl all the best.

Without sounding like a cliche she has to be reminded that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Easier said than done when everything seems so black in her life I’m sure.

cbike
    Free Member

Sounds like BPD. Yes call police if worried sooner rather than later. And get support for yourself. Breathing space and the like are also there for you too.

Sanny
    Free Member

I did this when my brother in law asked for help with a friend. The police were great and really took it seriously. If only for your own piece of mind, just call them and have the texts available to show them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Friend's worrying texts…suicide risk’ is closed to new replies.