Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fridge engineer in the house?
  • dashed
    Free Member

I picked up a cheap (free!) full height, glass doored drinks chiller a couple of weeks ago (Vimto branded, kinda thing you get in a shop). Fan was running but not getting cold. Had a local chap out who tested for leaks (none) and regassed. I ran it for a week, turned it off for a week as not needed, turned back on and same problem so guessing it needs regassing again. Clearly not realistic to do this every time I need it and reckon it must have a leak so will prob just scrap it, which I’m hacked off about as cost £90 in call out an valve/gas etc to sort.

Chap who did the work is coming back to take another look but is basically saying there is no leak and it’s my fault for not running it none stop… Any truth? My mate’s got similar and he just turns it on on demand. I don’t need it full time, maybe 1 week a month, but when I want it I need it to be reliable.

Any thoughts from the collective stw wisdom?

wrecker
    Free Member

it’s my fault for not running it none stop… Any truth?

Nope.
    Turning it off won’t make it leak.

adam_h
    Free Member

He’s talking rubbish. Refrigerant doesn’t just disappear, there will be a leak somewhere. Turning it on/off won’t make any difference at all. May struggle to find it if it’s a small leak, but a quick pressure test and some bubble spray should pick it up in a few minutes.

wrecker
    Free Member

Have a look at it. See if you can find any oil. The small bore capillary lines often leak (there’s probably one feeding into the evap inside). Check any flare nuts as well. As Adam says; a quick pressure test with OFN and leak spray would be required.

dashed
    Free Member

Cheers! I was thinking the same but he was blaming these new gases being all volatile and unstable…! I won’t let him fob me off with any more shoite then 😉

Neil-S
    Free Member

Check his credentials. Is he registered with the Institute of Fridge Engineers?

If not, he may not be a proper Fridge Engineer.

Whatever next, a **** Chair Engineer?

freeagent
    Free Member

Sounds like Bulls**t to me…

However – a tiny bit of truth – the oil in the system is there to lubricate the compressor, however it also wets and helps preserve various seals/O-rings in the system (including those inside the compressor) so you should run it from time to time, just to throw some oil around the system (yes I know it is oil vapour when it travels round the system)

It should be running on R134a gas – which doesn’t just fall out/disappear into thin air.
    It’ll have a leak somewhere – however it might be pretty hard to find it.
    The better way is to remove all the gas and put a vacuum pump on it, vac it down to a certain level and see if the pressure rises (rise test)
    Otherwise pressure/strength test with OFN – to 1.1 MWP – that should help find a leak.
    Ask him if he has an F-Gas cert – if not send him on his way.

I don’t really know much about commercial/domestic units – refrigeration in Submarines/Navy ships is our game…

theblackwidows
    Free Member

Maybe the room is too cold and the compressors not kicking in because the thermostat thinks its cold enough.

dashed
    Free Member

Nah, room def double figures temp wise and want the fridge down around 2-4 degrees.

Makes sense on running it for a while to preserve seals etc but he seems to have this issue with modern gases being unstable and disappearing into thin air rather than actually being a leak somewhere…

Don’t want to throw good money after bad, but it’s in pretty good nick and perfect for what I need so seems a shame to chuck it. I’ll see what he says when he comes back but will be armed with my new found STW knowledge! I might even let him read this thread 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fridge engineer in the house?’ is closed to new replies.