Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fridge compressor
  • toby1

… won’t switch off. I bought a new stat and replaced the old one, made no difference. The fridge is about 6 years old, in decent condition has plenty of ventilation around the back and hasn’t been moved (as in shaken up and not left to settle for years.

The fridge is still cooling things, perhaps over-cooling them really so it still works and I don’t think is a refrigerant problem. Light switch triggers the inner light so that doesn’t seem to be a problem.

If I call out a repair guy chances are the cost will exceed the cost of a new fridge.

Options are I a) leave it and hope it doesn’t burst into flames, b) just replace it now knowing failure won’t be far away, c) call out a ‘man’ in the know to fix it.

Any other suggestions?

Dibbs
    Free Member

b, because life’s too short.

mountainman

Many won’t look at domestic fridges these days,unless you know someone in commercial side of refrigeration.
    Used to have contacts back when i was in butchery trade.

New ones are cheap enough to be honest.

rattie79
    Free Member

On a domestic fridge the only thing controlling the compressor is the thermostat, are you sure you have got the correct replacement-there’s a lot of variations.
    To prove it, you’ll have two wires on the stat, power in and power out. Unplug fridge and disconnect power out cable, make safe and plug fridge back in, if compressor is not running it’s the stat.

toby1

Cheers All.

rattie – It had all the same codes on the external casing and was an exact fit for the fridge so yep, think it is right unit.

Ok, think it’s time to buy another fridge then.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Try homebrew forums/clubs, we’re always looking for cheap fridges with broken thermostats.

Or just buy one of these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/222008417858

Plug the fridge into the cooling side of it, set it to 4C and ducktape the thermostat to the inside of the fridge.

If the compressor is working then it must be the thermostat that’s failed somewhere.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fridge compressor’ is closed to new replies.