• This topic has 215 replies, 89 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 216 total)
  • Friday's Fatman Faceplant
  • martinhutch

zippykona

If Jamie was here I’d ask him to insert an inflatable sheep in the picture above.

mooman
    Free Member

jimjam – Member

And it makes me wonder what the cyclist looks like. Does riding a bike or wearing a helmet have some sort of emasculating effect in the eyes of others? All these videos seem to go down the same way with not very (physically) intimidating drivers attacking cyclists who for the most part seem to stand meekly and wait to get attacked.

Yes agreed.

Maybe they are not uploading videos of then dragging the driver out of the car and bouncing them up the road …

Been on quite a few rides where somebody has passed and shouted and screamed at us out of the car window … then had to stop at the red lights not far ahead.
    By the time we have pulled up by side of them, they have wound the window up and locked the doors … and mysteriously, they do not even see us when we ask them to repeat what they had previously said. Can`t even seem to get their attention at all.

Its like those little jack russell terriers … all bark and no bite if you bark back louder.

cynic-al
    Free Member

All these videos seem to go down the same way with not very (physically) intimidating drivers attacking cyclists who for the most part seem to stand meekly and wait to get attacked.

They are making a vocal challenge to how they have been treated.

Are you still at school…fight FIGHT! Etc?

Yawn

duckman

What happens when two bellends meet. Maybe they are distantly related?

DezB
    Free Member

it seems like these people do it for a reaction then post it on Youtube.

Ever the psychologist eh?

Basil

What injuries did the car driver sustain?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Idiots ride bikes too. Cyclist was being a nobber. Plenty space in the parking spaces for them to move into to allow superman to pass safely.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

All these videos seem to go down the same way with not very (physically) intimidating drivers attacking cyclists who for the most part seem to stand meekly and wait to get attacked.

That is an interesting point. Where are the videos of cyclists who can handle themselves being threatened and assaulted?

lerk
    Free Member

I know when wearing road spds, I don’t exactly feel like I could take on any sort of confrontation!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

On the contrary look cleats are exceptional for kicking someone in the nuts.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I spent 10 minutes educating people about road position etc on a FB page then gave up.

I very much doubt the guy on the bike needed to follow the car, but the driver did need a word.

[disclaimer, this sort of attitude resulted in me taking a couple to the jaw yesterday when I interrupted a mugging by filming it and the perps, lol]

thestabiliser
    Free Member

After watching that all I can say is it’s a good job I don’t have my finger on the trigger of nuclear Armageddon.

kilo

gofasterstripes – Member

this sort of attitude resulted in me taking a couple to the jaw yesterday when I interrupted a mugging by filming it and the perps

sorry to hear that but well done for doing something to help

teasel
    Free Member

…but the driver did need a word.

As I wrote above – to what end? He clearly states in the vid he thought the bike was sat in the middle of the road so he has no concept of error on his part. The ‘word’ only served to antagonise him further and that could’ve cost the cyclist his life if the guy had punched him the wrong way, or he’d fallen wrong after a punch. If you retaliate and it all goes shit shaped then once again you can easily lose a large chunk of your life.

Not worth it.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Well, I did add a disclaimer. Personally, I’d have just gone for “you passed me too close, that’s against the rules of the road and dangerous. You need to go and read the highway code before you kill somebody and find yourself locked away for the sake of 5 seconds saved”

Then I would have gone about my day.

teasel
    Free Member

You need to go and read the highway code before you kill somebody and find yourself locked away for the sake of 5 seconds saved”

🙂 Weird. I had the opportunity to express my displeasure at being passed too close and that’s almost verbatim. Guy still jumped out before I could finish the sentence and told me to “f off you cyclist ****”. When I once again pointed out I required a little more space he threatened to throw me in the adjacent ditch. I moved on.

TBH, if I had a go at every car that passed me too close I’d probably get nowhere – it’s almost every three or four cars!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I just do a “pushing away motion” after them, if there’s space.

Most are just unintentionally bad drivers.

flumewelck
    Free Member

No face plant he rolled out of it. Probably he’s done a bit of judo in the past.

jimmy

Judging by his kick technique he’s clearly some sort of martial arts expert.

jimmy

I don’t have teh skillz but there is a picture of Tom Cruise in the latest MI movie on BBC mobile home page. The fatten would look great photocopied as guy in the background…

ton

It’s always disappointing when someone who comes across as a normal reasonable sort of person abruptly reveals themselves to be a mindless prick.

so it is a good job that you know me and know that I am not a mindless prick, doesn’t it?

pitduck
    Free Member

ton(so it is a good job that you know me and know that I am not a mindless prick, doesn’t it?)And yet here we are(fistpie anyone?) 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Av it

bigjim

Really disappointing this has gone viral, so much cyclist hatred spreading on facebook.

iolo
    Free Member

The cylclist in question is furling the fire of hatred by posting this.
    Both were out of order, the car wasn’t that close and the cylclist shouldn’t have gone after him. The guy in the car turned out to be a bellend. No winners.

jimjam
    Free Member

bigjim

Really disappointing this has gone viral, so much cyclist hatred spreading on facebook.

It’s comedy/clickbait gold. It was always going to go viral. But yes, lots and lots of unbridled hatred towards cyclists. I’m kind of sick of it TBH. On a local FB traffic page someone posted a video of cars passing a cyclist extremely closely. One person comment that the c*** shouldn’t have been on the road and the cars weren’t close enough.

I took screen grabs of his comments, checked his profile, found his employer (a large car dealership) and emailed them. Comment’s deleted and a grovelling letter from the MD promising he would be disciplined.

No point letting people get away with it.

rene59
    Free Member

I took screen grabs of his comments, checked his profile, found his employer (a large car dealership) and emailed them. Comment’s deleted and a grovelling letter from the MD promising he would be disciplined.

Now that guy is really going to love cyclists. If cyclists wonder why people don’t like them, this kind of thing is a part of it.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I view it like racism, people need to be told stuff like this isnt right, otherwise they carry on thinking everyone agrees with them.

dufusdip
    Free Member

As a cyclist I really loathe these self-made cycling vigilantes and his You Tube feed shows he gets off on being sanctimonious to anyone he can video. I don’t think he appreciates that it is having a more damaging effect in polarising and cementing anti-cycling views.

It’s an interesting point though, the cyclist was entitled to be a safe door-opening distance into the road but it didn’t look an unreasonable gap. Cyclists should expect a little more room, but on some country roads when a car overtakes another there is maybe only a foot between mirrors; it’s not reasonable to expect a whole lane’s gap when passing.

It’s not breaking news that there are a lot of idiots driving cars out there. But it was nice to see someone gobby getting their comeuppance.

brooess
    Free Member

I view it like racism, people need to be told stuff like this isnt right, otherwise they carry on thinking everyone agrees with them.

Yep. You don’t beat blind prejudice/hatred by ignoring it and hoping it will go away. None of the big 20th century battles against prejudice (Feminism, Civil Rights, Gay Rights) were won by those minorities sitting quietly in the corner, they came out fighting.

I’m not saying the extent of the prejudice against cyclists is as bad or as negative an impact on the group involved, but it’s the same kind of thinking that underpins the prejudice…

I think the tone of the discussion in the media is beginning to change now though, the antis are facing more resistance. I think most people who are neither cyclists or haters see videos like this one, and the Roehampton one and are pretty shocked to see the level of hatred being meted out towards cyclists and slowly are starting to change public opinion in favour of coming down hard on dangerous and aggressive drivers

FWIW Rene59, if someone’s posting anti-cyclist stuff on social media, they’re already lost to anger, I can’t see that being reported and getting a warning from their boss is going to make them any worse…

jimjam
    Free Member

Now that guy is really going to love cyclists. If cyclists wonder why people don’t like them, this kind of thing is a part of it.

You mean the guy who was openly calling for cyclists to be run over and calling them ****s? I’ve now done something to colour his views on cyclists 🙄

uselesshippy

Yep. I’m starting to think this way too. Substitute cyclist for jew/black/queer/etc and it suddenly becomes ok for people to threaten violence on a minority group.

I had another guy on a similar group make repeated threats and boasts that he would happily run over and kill cyclists. I screen grabbed his comments and posted them back to him and told him I was sending them to the police. It was a bluff, I didn’t but I wanted to make him think. And of course he deleted all of his comments instantly.

I’m still on the fence, maybe I should have involved the police. Eventually some of these people threatening to kill cyclists will do just that,say they were distracted and will probably get a slap on the wrists. It might be a different story if there was a paper trail illustrating their feelings towards cyclists.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I’m not saying the extent of the prejudice against cyclists is as bad or as negative an impact on the group involved, but it’s the same kind of thinking that underpins the prejudice…

…and probably the same type of person espousing the hate – it’s nasty small minded people who are prepared to attack any group they can identify as “different” be it by their race, religion, gender, sexual preference, body shape, mode of transport or even the sports team they support. 🙁

yunki
    Free Member

thread resurrection

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULOU9c0y4Bc[/video]

Cougar

Reminds me of Pit Fighter.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnFU-BXda2A[/video]

hilldodger
    Free Member

The 51-year-old motorist from Henley-on-Thames was cautioned by Thames Valley Police after he admitted committing a public order offence, assault, and making threats to commit criminal damage……

globalti
    Free Member

As a cyclist I really loathe these self-made cycling vigilantes and his You Tube feed shows he gets off on being sanctimonious to anyone he can video. I don’t think he appreciates that it is having a more damaging effect in polarising and cementing anti-cycling views.

Spot on.

Now what would we be writing if the driver, who isn’t the healthiest-looking specimen of manhood, had broken his neck, smashed his brains in or simply died of a heart attack from the massive adrenaline surge and sudden unaccustomed effort of the sprint? I’m ashamed to admit that twice in my life I have suffered similar episodes of uncontrolled rage and on both occasions I had chest pains for 24 hours afterwards. The cyclist was a complete idiot, the front and back cameras go beyond what was reasonable and if I was a coroner I would be forced to conclude that the cyclist was looking for this kind of confrontation.

DezB
    Free Member

Check out the link at the top of this thread http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/peugeot-man-vs-cyclist-roadragepratfall-video#singletrack

Brilliant.

“and much of the discussion in general, really, since it went viral – focused on deciding who is right and who is wrong, breaking this road rage incident down into a simple light vs. dark, good vs. evil, bikes vs. cars campaign.

But to focus on that is to take away from the true heart of this video, and that is that it is the most beautiful thing any recent generation has ever produced.”

I would be forced to conclude that the cyclist was looking for this kind of confrontation.
    good job you’re not in such a position then.

spekkie
    Free Member

aracer
    Free Member

Personally I’d be suggesting that was totally self-inflicted, why what would you be writing? It’s not as if the cyclist forced him to chase after him or it was even self-defence.

the front and back cameras go beyond what was reasonable

Is he allowed just one of the other?

Of course one way to prevent the whole episode would be for the driver not to pass dangerously close.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 216 total)

The topic ‘Friday's Fatman Faceplant’ is closed to new replies.