Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Friday tech. Looking for a netbook. Any recommendations ?
  • trailofdestruction
    Free Member

So, looking for a netbook, mainly for doing some MS Office work on (Word mainly), but for doing some emails and web browsing on, but also to put all my MP3 and JPEGs on for storage and to use itunes.

Benn looking at this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-305U-11-6-inch-Laptop/dp/tech-data/B007VBBYOM/ref=de_a_smtd as it is hitting al the right notes.

Good price, fairly decent spec and I even like the colour :mrgreen:

Already have a Samsung Tab and phone, so turning into a bit of a fanboi. Would love a macbook air, but don’t have that kind of cash.

Anything else I should be looking at ?

IHN

Get that, but max up the RAM (should only cost about another £20) if you can.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Cheers. Didn’t think of doing that 😳

Cletus

I wanted a small laptop and bought a Lenovo X131e

http://shopap.lenovo.com/sg/en/products/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x131e/

Very pleased with it but a bit more than the Samsung.

I also looked at the Acer Aspire V5-171-32364G32 which has really compact but I preferred the robustness of the X131e

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/acer-aspire-v5-171-32364g32-11-1-laptop-silver-14893763-pdt.html

The one you linked to looks good but no USB3 would put me off.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Thanks Cletus. I have been looking at the lenovo, but it’s just a bit more than I really wanted to pay.

Not too bothered by lack of USB3, but it would be nice to have. I guess it’s the thing you lose lower down the scale.

It’s not going to hammered too hard, the most demanding thing it’s going to have to do is play itunes, and create and store lots of documents.

However, it’s going to get carried to and from work everyday, so don’t want a proper beast of a laptop to lug around.

The wife has a an older Acer which is soooooo slow, it’s just put me off looking at them altogether.

xiphon
    Free Member

Depending on how much space you need on it, an SSD would make a substantial difference too.

Cletus

Hi,

There is a cheaper version of the X131e that uses an AMD CPU instead of Intel – £359.99

midlifecrashes

We recently got an ASUS 1025CE netbook for my eldest. Excellent machine, but two drawbacks: Win7 Starter and no easy way in to swap the 1MB RAM for a 4MB. The hardware supports 4MB, but Win7 starter will only see 2MB. Also you have to completely disassemble the machine to swap the memory, which is a bind. Once done though it is plenty quick enough for most stuff, has USB3 and HDMI and has enough grunt to do HD movies.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Seriously ? That sounds like a right pita. Why don’t they make it easier for you to swap out and upgrade RAM 😡

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Friday tech. Looking for a netbook. Any recommendations ?’ is closed to new replies.