Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Friday musings – n+1
  • whitestone
    Free Member

Slightly different to the other n+1 thread.

My current bikes are:
    29er steel hardtail
    steel frame commuter/tourer
    carbon road bike

As a purely rhetorical question, if you were getting another bike, what would you go for and why?

honourablegeorge

Have a 26er 140 HT, a 160mm FS, and a 203mm DH

Would like a 29.27.5+HT, a slack 130mm trailbike, but relistically, I’d get 27.5 replacements for all the above.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cargo/utility bike. Something like a big dummy. Because they are cool. Could carry loads of stuff and/or our two kids without needing a trailer.

Oh and I currently have a 26″ LT HT, a 29″ XC HT, a big bouncy FS and an XC FS (both 26″.) A road race bike, a road training bike, a flat bar commuter, a TT race bike, a turbo bike and an unicycle 🙂

I would also like a CX racer and a new winter trainer too!

rhid

I have the same as honourablegeorge and I would probably do the same as him to!

cokie

Edit- didn’t read the OP properly.
    My N+1 bike would have to be an XC 29er FS race bike.
    Something like the Anthem or Epic or Scalpel.
    I really want a super light carbon bike for the longer endurance races and local 3 hour loops. My other bike do it okay but I know the weight and travel are a hindrance.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’m not sure what I’d go for for an n+1. I have an XC hardtail (which doubles as the bike that sits all winter with spiked tyres fitted), harcore hardtail, big FS bike (all 26er), track bike, road bike and a commuter bike.

I guess if it was genuinely n+1 and not going to be one in one out, It’d be a cross bike or a utility bike (with suitable adjustability to be ridden by me and my wife)

A 29er would be nice, but would replace one of the current fleet depending on what sort of build I got. 650b would pointlessly render my stock of spare tyres useless.

gonzy
    Free Member

currently own a 170mmAM bike and a commuter.
    if i could get another bike i would but space in the house is at a premium and if i value my well being i wont get another until we buy a bigger house.
    house is up for sale at the moment so hopefully at some point a bigger house will become a reality…when that happens a new bike will be on the cards…ideally something like a YT Capra.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

OP needs a 100mm carbon FS

ferrals
    Free Member

I’m confused, are you asking what n+1 we would get based on our bikes, or on the list of bikes you’ve given?

If it was based on my bikes (‘cross bike and trail/xc 27.5 hardtail), I’d either get a full on xc race hardtail or a full on xc race full suss (scott scale probs), not sure if it would be 650b or 29er.

If it was based on your list I’d get an xc orientated full-sus

edit. dirtyrider beat me to it.

philjunior
    Free Member

Oh and based on your list if that’s what we’re doing, I’d go for a trail or enduro sized full sus, depending on where you live.

binners

I’ve got the last model Orange P7 they made. I bloody love it. It does everything I want, really well. I got rid of my full suss as I never rode the thing. I’ve not the remotest interest in road riding.

But being realistic, its got 26″ QR wheels, 1 1/8 headset, and I suppose its time to upgrade, except nothing has really floated my boat. Until now. Then THIS popped up yesterday. I now know with 100% certainty what my next bike will be 😀

whitestone
    Free Member

Sorry guys, I meant what would you add to the list in my first post.

Deliberately not said where I do most of my riding or how much I use each of the bikes.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve got a 650b hardtail, cx wet weather commuter, dry day road commuter, sunday best road bike.

If I was buying anything, and I have no plans to, it would be a new wet weather commuter, something with hydraulic discs. My current wet weather commuter is looking a bit shagged but it is 8 years old an done around 35,000 miles.

Sorry guys, I meant what would you add to the list in my first post.

Deliberately not said where I do most of my riding or how much I use each of the bikes.

Ah right, the use of ‘you’ instead of ‘I’ confused things. 🙂

You need a unicycle then, or a penny farthing.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

you need a 140/150mm FS I reckon

gonzy
    Free Member

binners – you sold your full sus?? that was a beauty of a bike!
    but i do like the look of that new P7…shame the rest of the orange range is still gopping!

binners

I think I rode it 4 or 5 times in the last year Gonzy. I just got the P7 out by default, every time. It seemed a bit sad just sat it the shed gathering dust. To be fair, it owed me nothing. It had some hammer over the years. Bought by a guy who looked like he’d give it a lot more use than me

I’m still happily riding an 07 clockwork, but I’m also in the new p7 camp. Wonder if I’ll be able to get a demo over here.

kayla1
    Free Member

+1 thestabiliser.

Get a slack FS. 26″ and 1 1/8″ for FS-curious, itch-scratching cheapness, other sizes for sure-you-want-one, not-so-cheapness.

ThePinkster

My next bike is going to be a HT 29er with rack mounts (it’s amazing how hard they are to find).

whitestone
    Free Member

To all those suggesting some sort of full-suss: boring!!!!

@Gary_M A penny farthing? I like the cut of your jib sir 8) I might struggle to get it in the house though. Not so sure about the unicycle.

NormalMan

Stooge Ti

kayla1
    Free Member

BMX. Learn to ride- again.

whitestone
    Free Member

Stooge do a Ti bike?

BMX – what do you mean “again”? Never had a BMX, way too late for me.

kayla1
    Free Member

I meant buy a BMX and learn to ride (something different/new) again. It’s never too late!

NormalMan

Scroll down in this thread for Stooge Ti (ness):

show us your Stooge thread

SaxonRider

My n+1 must certainly be a Genesis Caribou. Oh how I long for one…

Gratuitous pic (not mine)

benji
    Free Member

Either a singular puffin or a kona so and rip the gears of it, a singlespeed fat bike, just because.

boxelder

Caribou you say?

boxelder

OP – nouveau CX bike (PX Pick n flick etc) or something with 3″+ tyres (knowing where you ride…..)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Friday musings – n+1’ is closed to new replies.