Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Friday Brain fudge – fork content.
  • Kryton57

I have a 100mm SID RLT dual air on an HT which I no longer use for racing. I think I want to pay £250 and change it to a 120mm Reba solo air to make the bike more “everyday trail worthy”.

My justification is that the SID is not so small bump sensitive and the Reba will push out the angles a little for more of a fun ride.

I will sell the SID.

What have I missed/misunderstood?

wwaswas

you won’t have a fork on the hardtail anymore.

Kryton57

Eh?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

ah, I thought this was still the Anthem getting longer travel via fork swaps.

Can I put it down to “Friday Brain fudge”?

njee20
    Free Member

What’s the brain fudge part?

You take a fork off.

You put a different one on.

As plans go, I’m fairly sure it’s foolproof 😕

Kryton57

Lol.

I’m convinced the SID and the Reba have very different properties. But have they? That’s the brain fudge bit.

nickdavies

You’re right, they’re different. I’ve got both and the Reba is miles plusher and nicer than the SID to ride. However my Reba has dual flow rebound and is dual air so it’s set up with a bit more air in the negative chamber which makes it a better small bump fork at the expense of outright travel.

The SID is great as a race fork, i’ve done long quick rides on it and it’s fantastic for that but for a trail fork I think the Reba wins hands down.

I don’t know if this is a lot to do with the dual air though and the extra setup tweaks that gives though. I’m hoping that when I can finally get my hands on the 32mm tokens I can get the SID a bit better by running less air in it, it’s quite harsh now.

Also how old is the SID? I think the last year of dual air (2012?) is extendable to 120mm, combined with a bump in neg pressure you might be able to improve things before splashing cash on a new one.

njee20
    Free Member

My Solo air SID feels shit. I’m unsure if this is because it’s Solo Air, because I’ve messed about with it or because it’s buggered.

This helps you in no way whatsoever.

Kryton57

Thanks nickdaviea our conclusions are the same. I had no issue with short circuit racing but it just seemed harsh on trail rides no matter how much I played with the dual air. Mine is 2012 but is the 100/80 version. I want to be able to take the bike out more and have it cosset me a bit more.

Reba here I come then.

nickdavies

My Solo air SID feels shit.

But didn’t you take the damper out of it…? 😆

Kryton57

Hmm. I’m reading now that the internals are the same and some people feel they are the same. Could the air volume make the difference? I’d hate to buy it and it feels the same. 🙁

devash
    Free Member

The new solo air Rebas are turd. Well, at least mine is. Much preferred my old dual air.

If you’re going to buy a solo air Reba, save some cash and buy a rigid carbon fork instead. It’ll be miles more plusher. 😆

LoCo
    Free Member

New Solo air can be ‘tuned’ with Bottomless tokens like the pikes (obvs 32 ones though) very linear without.

Kryton57

Loco have you any opinion that may or may not match with mine or nickdavies conclusion of the SID rlt? My fork has never been serviced although it’s probably only been ridden 30 times. Can anything be done on a service – cheaper than buying a reba – to change the small bump sensitivity on these forks? Mine has the MoCo dna damper, the new reba just straight moco- not sure of the difference that would bring.

Knowing the settings as I do and now it’s dry, I’m tempted to back the floodgate all the way of to see if I can fix my issue by minimising any hsc it’s providing. A rooty ride will tell me I guess.

devash
    Free Member

@ Loco – Do you mean the “really new” black stanchion Rebas? Are they any better than the 2013 ones with the standard anodized stanchions and sag gage?

Kryton57

It’s the fast black stantion model I’m looking at. I’d be interested in any feedback of those.

njee20
    Free Member

But didn’t you take the damper out of it…?

Yep 😀

Done the same on 4 other SIDs and they all felt fine though, this one doesn’t.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Friday Brain fudge – fork content.’ is closed to new replies.