Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fricking ITV4 TdF ad breaks!
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

Why did they have one when Chris Froome made his move on the final climb of the stage? I thought they were banned during the final 20km?

IanW
    Free Member

That was annoying.

tang
    Free Member

Idiots. And it was a long one with 3 dove care for men in a row. There’s a product I will now never buy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrOvershoot

Wonder if they will edit it in for the highlights

shifter
    Free Member

That was spectacularly crap timing!

ampthill

Caused an argument here. We were watching in time slip. Mrs Ampthill forwards the ad break.

I’m all you’ve missed all the action, go back, you must have forwarded 2 ad breaks. She’s all no its 5km to the finish still. I’m he can’t have caught and passed that Columbian during an ad break, she’s well he has

OK I lost

PS we needed a warning spoiler title

andysbikeclinic
    Free Member

Try watching it on ITV Player…painful!

Philby

Was thinking when did Froome overtake the Columbian? Thought it was me who wasn’t paying attention for a couple of minutes – obviously not! Why couldn’t they run a replay?

mashiehood
    Free Member

I simply can watch it – makes me so angry! 👿

fizzicist
    Free Member

ITV are crap at sport coverage. They used to do this all the time with F1.

However I felt that this one was particularly unforgivable. The Peloton has begun to accelerate towards Quintana, there are only 20km to go. Sky are getting the hammer down….so lets cut to a 4 minute ad break.

Eejits.

LIst of products to boycott coming up….

ohnohesback
    Free Member

On a slight tangent… I listened to a french language TdF grunt-in, and one of the callers, as far as I could understand it, compared Froome’s performance today with Armstrong’s performance in 2003.

Please let let that caller be cynical and wrong.

cbike
    Free Member

The ad insertions are automatic are they not?

fizzicist
    Free Member

Producer chooses when they are apparently.

nickdavies

Unless I was being exceedingly dense they did the same thing on the highlights, the move wasn’t shown. No excuse really, you could argue a live feed maybe but when it’s the highlights it should be that. Unless the feed is controlled by the French and it wasn’t filmed?

During the highlights there was an ad break at 19:30, then another at 19:35. Give it to the BBC!

scuttler

Ad break was inexcusable, highlights were an abomination. Not really sure what happened today but the producers/editors/whomever deserve a shoeing.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Armstrong in 2003 struggled up to this finish, Ullrich gained some seconds. It had a different name back then. So what were they comparing?

swavis

I watched on Eurosport and while I had to listen to Sean Kelly occasionally they got all the add breaks out of the way before the final climb. Carlton Kirby even kept apologising and counting the add breaks down.

aracer
    Free Member

Eurosport at least have a clue how to cover cycling – if I could still get that I’d watch it for live coverage (actually come to think if it, aren’t there ways to watch Eurosport free online). ITV seem to manage to show a whole 45 minutes of football without an ad break – somebody needs to tell the ITV producer that having ad breaks on the final climb is like having ad breaks part way through a penalty shoot out.

leffeboy

aren’t there ways to watch Eurosport free online

It’s a fiver, get on with it. There are links from cyclingfans for various free links if you are desperate and like closing pop ups but for a fiver it just isn’t worth it. Note that if you aren’t in the uk you aren’t guaranteed to get it in English 🙁

mrblobby
    Free Member

Eurosport player on the PC and iPhone/Pad is pretty good. I reckon it’s worth it and use it a lot. Could be a lot better if they added more on-demand stuff for example.

Someone on another thread I think suggested it may be a cynical move to get you to sign up to ITV premium online. It did feel as if it was deliberate as the ad timing really could not have been worse.

Also how is Phil Liggot “the voice of cycling”? Was away today so had to watch on itv and the commentary is pretty dire compared to Eurosport. Don’t remember him being this bad from watching TdF on channel 4 as a kid.

butcher

That ad break was terrible. Team Sky were something like 12 seconds behind, then when it comes back on, Froome’s out on his own, and I’m thinking, ooh, he must be bridging the gap….

Surely, even if they absolutely must have had that ad break they could have started it from where it left off.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Unless I was being exceedingly dense they did the same thing on the highlights, the move wasn’t shown

they showed the catch of Quintana and Froome heading off solo in the highlights.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I got a bit confused when Ligget was talking about Froome struggling to stay on Porte’s wheel, and the next thing was Froome out in front on his own. Of course that could just as well have been Ligget getting it wrong.

Oh, and that Wiggle ad they have this year is one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

psling
    Free Member

Yeah, but what about the one today starring hora in a Virgin Trains ad… 😆

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fricking ITV4 TdF ad breaks!’ is closed to new replies.