Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • freshly built yet to ride off road lightweight xc dream machine –
  • xcretro
    Free Member

well ive finally got the bike sorted, new bits arrived yesterday and built it last night, when i say new bits i mean the frame, wheels, front and rear mech, seat, discs, pedals and tyres.

I think i’m in love 🙂

total cost of build – £1800 weight not too sure but it feels very light and would imagine its sub 22lbs

what do you think to it? im dead chuffed 🙂

warton
    Free Member

it’s so light it’s disappeared

xcretro
    Free Member

lol its back again now

daveh
    Free Member

Could do with bigger wheels… 😆 😳

madeupname
    Free Member

why did you take the pic in a waiting room?

Valves/logos, crank angles, gear selection etc etc.

Don’t worry, I’m just jealous of any new bike 😉

xcretro
    Free Member

oldschool 26 is the wheel size of champions! you see in a few years all the mags will be saying cant beleive we did without 26…..

agree its not the most awe inspiring photo/backdrop lol it is the reception area at the school I work at.

njee20
    Free Member

Grips don’t go, and stem looks mahoosive, otherwise looks good!

xcretro
    Free Member

Grips don’t go, and stem looks mahoosive, otherwise looks good!

I know the grips are a bit not right, they are kcnc red (but look orange) weigh about 6g each but may put the heavier white peaty lock ons back on even though they weigh an extra 45g each. Stem is oldschool 130mm too. I like the stretched out position.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

1994 called. They want their stem back.

xcretro
    Free Member

1994 called. They want their stem back.

hahaha it was actually 1991, the last time I was on a bike untill last year and raced XC on a gt zaskar le with ball burnished finish, xtr groupset and rockshox mag 21 in gold and a 130mm stem ahhhh those were the days. :mrgreen:

njee20
    Free Member

Or buy some black KCNCs…

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Nice, proper wheelsize, not fad ones. Enjoy !

rs
    Free Member

your seat tube appears to have melted…

rob2
    Free Member

Run 1×9 and save a chunk load more weight?

How does it ride with a 130mm stem?! That’s massive

chilled76
    Free Member

What the hell is going on with the seat tube?

S_J
    Free Member

Officially the best thread of 2003!

Bregante

Tidiest lawn ever.

taxi25
    Free Member

Nice bike, but no it isn’t under 22lbs.

xcretro
    Free Member

how can you be certain? the wheels are 1250g the frame is 2250g ish most parts are xtr and others are carbon fibre, forks are reba world cup with carbon steerer and crown. will have to get hold of some scales and weigh it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Never mind the tiny wheels… is that a tripple chainset? Can’t be sure as it’s been a while since I’ve seen one.

taxi25
    Free Member

Maybe it is. But as you haven’t weighed it on an accurate pair of scales weight is purely hypothetical. But I’ve got a scott scale with some lighter bits than you’ve got and it weighs 21lbs. I’m guessing 23 lb ish, but whatever it is its a nice light F/S enjoy. 😀

andylc
    Free Member

What mtb wheels weigh 1250g btw?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

What mtb wheels weigh 1250g btw?

Just what I was thinking. Go on OP. Let’s have a parts list.

schmiken

DT Swiss XRC 1250s weight 1250g…

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

That front wheel is £760 at CRC 😮

OP how can your build cost be £1800 when the wheels alone are that much? You must have got some bargains?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Probably some huge classified bargains to be had on tiddly xc race wheels these days.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

I think the OP means how much it cost him in the extra parts required for this build, rather than how much all the parts cost him. I don’t think he mentioned having bought new wheels for example, which is possibly why he bought a 26er frame instead of a 29er.

I’ve got a deeply unfashionable 120 stem and 580 flat bar combo on my race bike. I really like it, despite also riding trail bikes with more up to date cockpits.

Edit: Doh! Scratch the wheels bit, I just checked the OP and I misremembered. CBA to check when writing since I was on my phone.

xcretro
    Free Member

hi all OP here. the cost of total build, everything you see in the picture cost a total of £1800 give or take a few quid.

CBA to strip it and weigh on scales now but going from weight weenies and other sites showing component weights I have got it at about 9500g which is a smidge under 21 lbs 🙂

going from 3×9 to 1×9 would not reaslly save that much weight as the xtr rings are carbon allow composite and weigh eff all.

i agree I could deffo save some weight here and there if I really wanted to…. new brakes, change to sram xx or x0 and save a few grams but i wouldnt want it to float away lol

Marmoset
    Free Member

If you’re happy with it, then I’m happy with it, after all it’s your baike and variety makes the world go round. If we all built the same bikes then we’d look like all those hipsters, trying to look different from everyone else, yet identical to all the other hipsters! 😀

*this reply may have been influenced by some lunchtime drinking, if any hipsters are offended, I apologise*

xcretro
    Free Member

marmoset I quite agree and you are excused from the lunchtime drinking comment! i am certainly no hipster!! but if i was i would not be offended 🙂

JCL
    Free Member

A +5lb aluminium 29’er would be faster.

Still, if you love it who cares.

BenjiM

going from 3×9 to 1×9 would not reaslly save that much weight as the xtr rings are carbon allow composite and weigh eff all.

You’ll save about a pound, I reckon. Don’t forget you’re not just losing rings. You’re losing a front mech and a shifter (unless it’s dual control)as well as cable and any cable housing.

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s under 21lbs, but 22 seems about right. I got mine below 20.

1x 10 is a big saving. Not a pound with XTR, but I think I saved about 200g starting with 2×10.

A +5lb aluminium 29’er would be faster.

You’re kidding?

mrblobby
    Free Member

How you liking the KCNC grips? I just couldn’t get them to stick to the bars, they kept twisting (mt zoom carbon bars). Didn’t much like the feel of them either. The bar end plugs seemed very fragile too and snapped easily. Went back to some old wtb grips I had in the spares box.

shortcut

Did you save weight by going for 24″ wheels?

Mr Blobby – I fitted some KCNC grips to a bike yesterday – they were loose and moved a lot – problem solved with some puncture patch glue – bars were alloy though. The end plugs were not fit for purpose and disintgrated. I should have seen that coming and put them in boiling water before fitting!

JCL
    Free Member

You’re kidding?

Nope. Lower rolling resistance easily negates that amount of weight.

slackalice
    Free Member

Furthermore, JCL has made his mind up about 29’rs and had consistently reminded us of the fact and that’s that! The man is not for turning!! 😉

If it were red, it would be even fasterer 8)

xcretro
    Free Member

regarding the weight of the bike…. read this as it states its sub 21 lbs

really need to get it on some scales and see.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘freshly built yet to ride off road lightweight xc dream machine –’ is closed to new replies.