Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fresh (uncooked) turkey – how long will it keep?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Probably a daft question but…

We have ordered our Christmas turkey from a ‘source’ – this means we can’t speak to the butcher directly so it will be difficult to get the answer we need.

The turkey is being collected today and I assume it will be vacuum packed (as the stuff we usually get from the source is) and we *assume* it will still be good for Christmas without needing to freeze it (otherwise they wouldn’t be selling it for collection today) but a full week seems a long time to keep fresh meet in a fridge.

Ta

thecaptain
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be worrying if it will fit in the fridge. If it’s too large and the weather stays this warm, then I would be a bit concerned. Ours usually spends several days in a coldish part of the house, last year was a bit on the mild side but we’ve never had any ill effects.

Bear in mind that most meat gets hung for a while before processed for sale (though TBH I have no idea about turkeys in particular). The important thing is to cook it properly (which doesn’t have to mean over-done).

boblo
    Free Member

Aahhh you can’t beat a Grundy’s turkey at Christmas… 🙂

I don’t know the answer to your question but I’d probably freeze it as the Christmas Day consequences could be dire…

johndoh
    Free Member

Cool. Our ‘source’ is keeping the bird in their industrial freezer 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

is your “source” a drug dealer or is there another reason for the ” round source….

is it hooky meat …. has the turkey been kept in the ‘sources’ industrial freezer since last year ?

soobalias
    Free Member

is it horse-turkey?

jb72
    Free Member

I would have thought the most important thing is that it is well cooked.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I only buy chicken (not a fan of turkey) I’m going to eat that day, otherwise it goes in the freezer, even if it’s just for a couple of days. There’s not a cats chance in hell I’d leave it for a week, especially if it’s a bit hooky.

I would have thought the most important thing is that it is well cooked

If it’s off, it doesn’t matter a toss how well cooked it is.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If you hung a pheasant for a week it would be very ‘gamey’ I’m not sure a turkey would last as well. That said it would add an element of excitement into boxing day.

northerntom
    Free Member

turkey shelf life should be about 21 days from day of slaughter. so you should be fine

cchris2lou

In a home fridge, probably already quite full with all the other xmas stuff, I would be concerned to keep a turkey that long. The smell won’t be pleasant when you open the packaging.
    Make sure it is cooked properly, 75c degree with a probe.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Just noticed that our local supermaket had a sign saying fresh turkeys will be in tomorrow. So they are obviously happy with 6 days further storage…

johndoh
    Free Member

BTW, the source is the chef at the school where my wife works – he gets ‘mates rates’ from a local commercial butcher that supplies the school (which is why we can’t ask the question directly).

If the turkey is half as good as the amazing fillet steaks we get from him are, then I will make myself sick gorging on it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fresh (uncooked) turkey – how long will it keep?’ is closed to new replies.