Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Fresh poured concrete pad…
  • elzorillo
    Free Member

I had a 40sqm concrete pad poured yesterday… Anyone know how long before I can walk on it? and more specifically.. how long before I can let a BIG horse walk on it??

Additionally.. When I do let the horse on it.. Would it be sensible to throw some woodshavings or sand etc on the concrete to temporarily protect it from the great oafs feet?

falkirk-mark

That is a question for whoever supplied the pour, normal stuff takes several days but in our work we get stuff that hardens pretty much overnight. (I am not a civil engineer)

perchypanther
    Free Member

how long before I can let a BIG horse walk on it??

Wait until it’s stable. 😉

jag61

a couple of days but get him to take his shoes off first

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

24hrs for 80% strength then 28 days fully set. Depends on type/mix assuming its compacted and reinforced.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’d only tentatively tiptoe across it next day. The horse I’d leave for a few days, have you seen the mess they can make of a bridleway?

gobuchul
    Free Member

How did you resist writing your name in it?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Bet a cat walked across it before it set too

slowoldman

Depends on the strength and additives. Concrete has certainly come on in the 40 years since I was last involved in seeing it poured on site. It used to be covered in hessian and regularly sprayed with water for a day or two to prevent cracking. Watching a site over the road from our office this week they did a big pile cap pour and the next morning were walking around on it setting up formwork for the next lift.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you normally put a shed load of straw down anyway to make it more comfy?
    Do horses only ever stand?
    Genuine question.
    I am not an equine expert!

Greybeard
    Free Member

The weight of the horse is unlikely to break a slab poured on the ground even the day after, but I’d expect horseshoes to mark the surface in the first week at least.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If you draw a cock and balls in it with a stick it’s too soft, if the horse and draw a cock and balls in it with a stick it’s still too soft but you’d have a moderately amazing horse

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We were told 3 days before walking on it (I think more to save potential blemishes) and then a month before building on it.

I wouldn’t let a horse on for a while

BillMC

If it does, hoof it in the slats

hols2
    Free Member

You can case harden it by soaking it in a urea bath. Just cover the surface in stale urine and let it soak all afternoon. The nitrogen atoms from the urine will be absorbed into the crystal matrix and form a hard surface. If you can’t source enough urine, guano is a perfectly acceptable substitute.

slowoldman

That makes it sound like you should let the horses on ASAP.

Murray

You can buy urea easily – AdBlue, £300 for 1000 litres

steve_b77
    Free Member

Give it till Monday, what straight was the concrete? Should be on the batch note / delivery ticket

lesgrandepotato

I think you have the sequence wrong here. Horses head in bed. Then new patio.
    The horse should never encounter the patio.

natrix
    Free Member

Urea can actually cause the surface of the concrete to scale off, not a good idea to soak a slab in it.

natrix
    Free Member

You can case harden it by soaking it in a urea bath. Just cover the surface in stale urine and let it soak all afternoon. The nitrogen atoms from the urine will be absorbed into the crystal matrix and form a hard surface. If you can’t source enough urine, guano is a perfectly acceptable substitute.

This is complete nonsense, there is no such thing as case hardening concrete. You can cure it by covering it in damp hessian (as mentioned by slowoldman) or using a spray applied curing membrane. You can treat dusting concrete with Lithurin (spelling similar to urine, but completely different chemical).

Adding urine or guano will have no benefit, somebody is having a laugh 😆

If you don’t believe me ask The Concrete Society http://www.concrete.org.uk/contact-us.asp

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Fresh poured concrete pad…’ is closed to new replies.