Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • French maps
  • singletracksurfer

I want to cycle to/from Paris off road – is there something like the free OS langranger map on street map, but for France, where I could plan a route?

Or any recommendations for routes or where to get suitable maps?

Thanks.

Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.michelin.com

will give a route plotted on the Yellow michelin map scale.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, what Stoner said. Or, alternatively, a trip to Stanfords on Long Acre would be well worth your while for map-fetishistic activities.

French maps are, in common with almost every other nation's maps, nowhere near as brilliant as the OS. We are truly blessed to have such great mapping here!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    juan
    Free Member

if you want to ride off road forget about michelin.
    Try the IGN maps (1/25000). Or the website http://www.ign.fr/
    Despite what CFH think, they are way better than OS map.

ChrisE
    Free Member
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

IGN aren't bad, Juan, I will grant you that, but I still feel that for bike/foot navigation, the OS are the dog's danglies.

uplink
    Free Member

Do the French maps still have the prime meridian running though Paris? 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

I assumed the OP was riding on the roads, hence yellow michelins – my mistake.

IGN needed for off road obviously.

IGN are OK, but Im with CFH. They arent a patch on OS. Dont forget they arent even digitised and there is no such thing as an IGN datum for GPS, they have had to bodge the generic datum grid onto their maps as a make-do.

However, I do own about 30 IGN and another 30 yellow michelin.

Moses

Check out the online version, down to 1:25k#

http://www.geoportail.fr/visu2D.do?ter=metropole

It's very neat, you can use a slider to change between satellite & map views

glenh
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with IGN maps.

I use both IGN and OS maps all the time and find both good. I wouldn't know about digitizing or GPS, 'cos I use a compass 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

'cos I use a compass

pffft. I use a sextant and goat's entrails.
    None of this modern, new fangled compass bollox 🙂

singletracksurfer

Thanks people. The geoportail site is ace.

singletracksurfer

Juan any recommendations for going between Dieppe and Paris?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

French maps are, in common with almost every other nation's maps, nowhere near as brilliant as the OS. We are truly blessed to have such great mapping here!

However, French and Swiss alpine climbing maps are a true work of art.

Stoner
    Free Member

never seen those bannana. Got any links?

Christowkid
    Free Member

IGN Maps:
    Used them this summer. I stayed at a point where 3 maps overlapped, so got all three. It was where there were a lot of GR Routes interlacing the area, so I planned to go explore.
    My first outing, was looking for a road off the road I was on and all I could see was a 'bridleway' type track. After much double checking, I realised i was right. The map showed a road, it was a rough rack!
    Further down I stopped, intent on taking a right hand fork. Couldn't find it despite much looking. Carried on and fianlly home to campsite. Over the post ride tea both maps showed my 'track' as a road. The map I was using showed the right hand fork I couldn't find, the other, it was missing!
    Brilliant ride, brilliant weather and brilliant country, but the maps I found were a little variable!
    my tuppence
    Q

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘French maps’ is closed to new replies.