Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • French kiss
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Soccer? You’re dead to me….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What is this soccer you speak of? You mean football don’t you?

wrecker
    Free Member

There are lots of types of football. I vote its called soccer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is one football, lots of variations with their own names, no need to call it anything else

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I vote we ignore, wrecker. 😈

wrecker
    Free Member

There are lots of footballs. American, australian rules, rugby, Gaelic.
    Association is not the only one. To avoid confusion why not just call it soccer. The australians have got it right. How about soccerball? I quite like that 😀

4130s0ul
    Free Member

but Wrecker how many of those listed predominantly use the foot?

as an aside I thought this thread would have been about this

Lil Louis – French Kiss

wrecker
    Free Member

but Wrecker how many of those listed predominantly use the foot?

Good point, but most only use one foot hence being suited to being called football. Soccerists use both so “Feetball” would be more suited. Pretty much what the scots call it anyway isn’t it?

slowoldman

How about soccerball?

I thought wendyball had been universally adopted.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Pretty much what the scots call it anyway isn’t it?

Fitba’

pronounced Fit-Baw.

thepurist

Good point, but most only use one foot hence being suited to being called football. Soccerists use both

So why do the pundits go on about so and so being a “natural left footer” – or is that a euphemism?

wrecker
    Free Member

No idea. But one would expect someone who gets paid large sums of money to kick a ball to be able to kick it with either foot, no?

maccruiskeen

‘Soccer’ is what ‘Association Football’ has always been called. Other nations with their own versions of football use ‘soccer’ to distigusish between their rules for football and ours – but its not their name for it its our name for it.

wrecker
    Free Member

Quite right too!

The word “soccer” was in fact the most common way of referring to association football in the UK until around the 1970s, when it began to be perceived incorrectly as an Americanism

jimdubleyou

soccer (n.)
    1889, socca, later socker (1891), soccer (1895), originally university slang (with jocular formation -er (3)), from a shortened form of Assoc., abbreviation of association in Football Association (as opposed to Rugby football); compare rugger. An unusual method of formation, but those who did it perhaps shied away from making a name out of the first three letters of Assoc.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Foosball

binners

ITS A HEADSTRIKE IN THE SCOREZONE!!!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

REEEEEEEJJJJECTION!!!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, soccer is an old word, comes from the Victorian/Edwardian public schoolboy affectation for putting ‘er’ or ‘ers’ on the ends of words. Soc is also a long standing abbreviation of association. Hence university clubs being called -soc.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Tosserers

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yes, soccer is an old word, comes from the Victorian/Edwardian public schoolboy affectation for putting ‘er’ or ‘ers’ on the ends of words

Like bugger?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

ITS A HEADSTRIKE IN THE SCOREZONE!!!!

I watched the Villareal – Liverpool game on a dodgy American stream last week. It was good fun listening to them describing the game.

At one stage Villareal went on a counter attack which was described as “Villareal are now in transition…” and they talked about how good it would be for Liverpool to bring at least one point back to Anfield, if not 3! 😀

Erm…it’s a knockout cup competition guys.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And as for the semantics, it’s “football” whether those, who have to make a genuine effort to remember to say “soccer” in the hope that it will identify them as people who aren’t keen on it like it or not. In most places in the world, “football” means what those described above call “soccer”…they can go on about it all they want. But that’s just how it is. Rugby is rugby. Not football. Gaelic Football is Gaelic Football or just “Gaelic” – as in “let’s have a game of Gaelic lads” because that’s what we used to say as kids. Aussie Rules Football is Aussie Rules. American Football is just that (although used to be known a lot as “Gridiron” and increasingly these days, I’ve noticed people are calling it “NFL”.) It is only “soccer” where it is genuinely a smaller sport than other variations. (I used to call it soccer as a kid as Gaelic Football was a bigger game.)

wrecker
    Free Member

. In most places in the world, “football” means what those described above call “soccer

Actually I would dispute that. The antipodeans call it soccer as do the north americans so that’s most of the english speaking countries out. The chinese call it g?n?l?n?qiú, Fußball in Germany, calcio in italy. 😛

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Actually I would dispute that.

Course you would. And you know what, you can dispute it all you want. Football is football. You can comfort yourself with the thought that it’s not if you want.

wrecker
    Free Member

You can’t stop the movement dd. People are seeing the light. Soccerball is in decline everywhere except wales (ok I made that up). Your football isn’t everyones football, in fact the majority of the planet don’t call soccer football 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Your football

My football? Stop talking out of your arse dude. I love most forms of the game…American, Rugby, Gaelic (don’t really see much Aussie Rules, but I’d watch it if it was on TV) and plain old football. In fact, I’d go so far as saying I prefer Rugby and American Football but I know what “football” means when used as a single word.

wrecker
    Free Member

So. By “your” football I thought it would be obvious that I meant what you refer to as football. Obviously not. You may think that football has the obvious meaning of soccer, but the majority of the people on the planet disagree.

Stop talking out of your arse dude.

You can change your tone too, thanks.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You can change your tone too, thanks.

Stop talking out of…

wrecker
    Free Member

WTF? What is with this place??
    I know you (and junkyard) to be decent people. Why the need to play the dick on here? Keeping up appearances? Want to be seen having a crack at me? It was a jokey, piss take thread.
    Seriously chill the **** out.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Seriously chill the **** out.

I think it’s you who needs to chill out mate.

Anyway, have a read of this on Wiki.: It might clear some stuff up for you. Stop taking everything so bloody seriously. (And leave poor JY out of it – he isn’t even here.)

Sunny day in Bristol…I might take the boy out to play a bit of football. That’s with a spherical ball, and not Gaelic football to be clear. Hopefully you’ve got similar weather all the way out there in South Glos. 😛

davidjey
    Free Member

More handbags in this thread than the Chelsea v Spurs game on Monday.

epicyclo

wrecker – Member
    There are lots of types of football. I vote its called soccer.

Up here a lot of us call it wendyball. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anyway, about the choice of song…..

molgrips
    Free Member

American Football is just that

American football is known as simply football by every American I know. And I know, and have watched football with quite a few.

nealglover
    Free Member

American football is known as simply football by every American I know. And I know, and have watched football with quite a few.

They would be Americans then. So neatly covered a point made later in the same post ….

It is only “soccer” where it is genuinely a smaller sport than other variations

As we aren’t American (in the UK) generally, we don’t have the need to differentiate like they do. As “Football” will do perfectly here, everyone knows what you mean.

You even used the term “American Football” yourself, which kind of illustrates the point wouldn’t you say?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Wendyfootsoccertossball??

tomhoward

Anyway, about the choice of song…..

Don’t you be coming here, starting threads and expecting us to talk about the subject of the thread…

Honestly, some people…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

O’Flashearty complaining about thread drift on his own thread. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘French kiss’ is closed to new replies.