Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • French guiding companies
  • glice
    Free Member

Hello,
    A random question ,but some of you may have experienced this.
    I have a question about guiding companies taking you on guided trips into other countries? Do you know if, in France, you can be taken by a guide (based in France) in to Spain or Switzerland or any other bordering country on a guided trip?
    Thanks
    Gslice

Marin
    Free Member

Yes. Rode into France Italy and Switzerland with Ben Jones this summer.

Marin
    Free Member

Its Europe innit.

mugsys_m8

I think Spain would be fine. Switzerland is maybe a bit more difficult.*
    *potentially based on issues for British, and possibly other nationality MOUNTAIN guides operating occasionally in Switzerland, where I think the number of days per year is limited and they must notify in advance. I’m not an expert and I hope I have sufficiently caveated all this… 😆

Stevomcd from the whiteroom will have a better idea.

stevomcd
    Free Member

The short answer is yes, it’s not a problem.

The long answer is “it depends”.

The rules vary depending on the country you’re visiting, whether it’s day trips or you’re actually staying there, how long you’re staying for and how often you’re doing it.

On top of that, it also depends on what qualifications you hold and how well-recognised they are, plus what your insurance will allow.

Going over the border for occasional day trips is a non-issue. Staying for a couple of nights, bringing your own clients with you is fine, but in theory you’re supposed to notify the host nation in advance. Staying longer than 2 weeks (guide, not clients) or doing frequent stays requires more detailed pre-notification.

I’m insured through the French bike-guides scheme at the moment, which is “anyone, anywhere” insurance (i.e. I can guide clients from any country, in any country). That’s not actually totally straight-forward to obtain – e.g. I’ve never really used the insurance offered by the UK association as it only allowed me to guide clients who were UK residents (which would be a major problem as we have a lot of clients from e.g. Russia and South Africa as well as it being a bit ridiculous to be based in France and not able to work with French clients).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘French guiding companies’ is closed to new replies.