Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • French Alps road riding – lights?
  • 2tyred

I'm off for a few days' road riding in the Alps shortly and was wondering about road tunnels, as I know a couple of the roads I'm planning to ride have them (the Col du Glandon, Col de l'Iseran etc). I'm guessing these aren't lit, so I take it a rear light is pretty much a must-have? What about a front light?

What's the weather like (on average) at this time of year? Cold enough for longs or will I get away with shorts? I've only ever been to the Alps in proper winter.

Any other pointers welcome!

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you need a rear light I'd be taking a front also.

Def take tights etc., especially at altitude.

nickjb
    Free Member

I've never been through a French road tunnel that wasn't lit up like a xmas tree. I'd still want good lights.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Shandy
    Free Member

I'd take both, you probably won't need them to see where you are going but you want people to see you. At the quiet times of the year a lot of people will be pushing on, cutting corners and expecting the roads to be quiet.

aP
    Free Member

The Glandon doesn't have tunnels on it, the worst ones are on the descent off the Lauteret. I've ridden them without lights, as long as you're visible I wouldn't owrry too much.
    You would be advised to wear longs (or at least have leg warmers) and arm warmers, vest + rain jacket. If it rains it'll be grim up there at that height.

nonk
    Free Member

Def take tights etc., especially at altitude.

is it darker?

Mister-P
    Free Member

What have Tights got to do with darkness nonk?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘French Alps road riding – lights?’ is closed to new replies.