Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • french alps for the weekend
  • hotcharge
    Free Member

Is it possible for a cheeky weekend in the alps. What with snowboarding once year with out wife, the chance of a week in french alps without her is not an option, so is a weekend viable. If so does anyone know where to organise accom??

twohats
    Free Member

Long weekend is a better bet.
    Did Thursday to Monday a few years back based in Morzine, with a days riding in Chamonix.
    My mate pulled in a favour for the accommodation, but I’m sure if you did a bit of calling around you’d find something for the weekend!

snowslave

Morzine’s website has good accommodation options.

squiff
    Free Member

Am off to the Alps with the lads in July for 7 nights, my wife has no problem with me going away for that long and Am away for 3 days doin Mountain Mayhem AND I am going on a stag do in August for a long weekend, I guess I must have a good wife 😀

Brycey
    Free Member

I’m considering the same, especially after Les Deaux Alpes feature in this month’s Dirt – now that looks fun! I was thinking about driving for a change (from Manchester). Premier Inn in Dover Thursday night, tunnel at 5am, Morzine for late afternoon. Leave Alps Monday afternoon after riding, or early doors Tuesday.

A lot of driving and not cheap (400 ish) but you can’t beat a road trip – now and again.

twohats
    Free Member

Brycey,

Me and a mate left leeds 5pm, midnight tunnel crossing, only stopped for food, coffee, fuel and driver swaps, arrived in the Alps for breakfast, on the trails for 10am, job done.

uplink
    Free Member

The Premier inn @ Dover?
    There’s a couple right by the tunnel entrance @ Ashford

Saying that – It would be a good bit cheaper & it’d give you a head start to book into the F1 motel @ Lievin on the A26

Keva
    Free Member

wouldn’t it be quicker & easier on the train ?

uplink
    Free Member

Quicker? maybe, I dunno
    Easier? – no

Too many trains & humping gear & bike across cities

Brycey
    Free Member

Good point – not Dover. Another good point on the French F1 but you get the jist.

Overnighter sounds tiring – although you really can’t beat a roadtrip!

john_l
    Free Member

Depends where you’re starting from, but I can do home (Sussex) to Les Carroz (just down the road from Chamonix) in 6hrs door to door. So certainly a viable option.

Shandy
    Free Member

John what the hell are you driving to do that?! Its 600 miles from Calais, I used to sit at 80-90 in my truck and minimise stops, still would’ve taken me 8/9 hours to do 600 miles.

phutphutend

I did a long weekend staying with Alpine Elements a couple of years back. Got lots of riding in and had a great time. Flew out after work on Thursday, rode all day Friday, Sat, Sunday and Monday morning. Flight back Monday afternoon. Back at work Tuesday.

Twohats, yup it might be great bashing all that way down in one go, but how many crashes did you have on the first day! My mate bust his shoulder up form lack of concentration after driving for so long. Some people can do it, but many can’t. Just worth thinking about?

twohats
    Free Member

None actually.
    2 of us sharing the driving and managed a decent bit of kip between shifts.

john_l
    Free Member

John what the hell are you driving to do that?!

erm, a 737? 😯

Would also agree with the point about crashes after a long drive.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve been for long skiing weekends in Les Deux Alpes with my Dad for the last 10 years or so, 7am Friday flight from Heathrow to Lyon, hire and car, 2 hour drive up to the resort, easily there by lunchtime, fly home late Sunday night, you could do come back Monday instead.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘french alps for the weekend’ is closed to new replies.