Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • French Alps Family-Friendly Campsite recommendations
  • downshift

Looking for a relatively quiet or “local” site with the opportunity for lift access to high-ish walks, and some quality road biking. A pool would be an extra bonus.

Cheers All.

ianfitz
    Free Member

The one at chatel ticks all those boxes.

Can’t remember the name but google maps will find it.

Free pedestrian lift passes if you stay there too (Payfor bikes)

Nice high level walking that’s not too high. No snow, more stable weather. But still sone impressive hills

lotsroad
    Free Member

When I was in Les Gets a long time ago there was a lovely family run campsite up the hill…baker delivered pain au chocolat every morning, friendly patrons, no nutters boozing all night…

La Grange au Frene…

Great mtb riding, obvs, nice walking…nice village for non-cycling enthusiasts…good prices iirc. Saw a few roadies about …you can’t go wrong in France…

https://www.morznet.com/campsites/la-grange-au-frene-campsite-les-gets-57579

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    John_Key
    Free Member

Second La Grange au Frene. Stayed there a few years ago. Great view plus evening sun.
    It is up the hill, so the ride home at night can be taxing

ads678

Camping le giffre in Samoens.

Free access to municipal pools when you stay there. Gondola is open for nice walks in the mountains. It’s the alps so road cycling is good.

pyranha

We liked Camping Giffre, and Samoens in general, but also Isle des Barrats in Chamonix was nicer than its town centre-ish location suggests. No pool, but a short walk to both Brevent and Aiguille du Midi lifts.

mrhoppy

Huttopia in Bourg st Maurice (used to be versoyens) ticks a lot of those boxes. We’re off there as a group of 9 families for a fortnight at the end of July as a warning to anyone else.

uglybassplayer

We were quite happy at Champ du Moulin in Venosc. Short walk up to the gondola station that takes you to Les 2 Alpe resort. There is a walk and a great red run back to the campsite once you have finished above the resort. Pool is next door, valley walks nearby to.

smogmonster

We stayed at Camping La Ravoire near Lake Annecy last year…it was bloody brilliant. You have the lakeside bike loop on the doorstep, lots of buses into Annecy, Semnoz, Col de la Forclaz as well. A great pool, some entertainment for the kids, and some really nice local restaurants. We’re going back next summer. Weve also stayed at Huttopia in BSM, when it was Le Versoyen, it was OK i suppose, served a purpose. Obviously it has BSM and all its facilities in very close proximity, and the Funicular is a 2minute bike ride away. Apparently it was going to be upgraded when Huttopia took over….dont know if thats true or not though.

shuhockey
    Free Member

bookmarked

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Interested

mugsys_m8

Go south. Avoid the northern alps. Think Briancon and south. This coming from a Grenobloise. Try courounba-les-vigneaux in the ecrins for example. it has a great natural filtered pool.

downshift

That looks interesting mugsys_m8, thanks. As a matter of interest what’s the reasoning behind your recommendation to head south?

mugsys_m8

Southern alps feel different. More stable weather. Less travelled road. Feels more special. Almost definitely go if you’ve not been before but you’ve been to the northern alps. Veneon is a good shout as well.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My choice would be Italy. Think I’ve been many times to Camping Tourist International campsite near Aosta, just other side of Mont Blanc tunnel (long time ago, pool and camping under trees). Aosta has lots of low level MTB and cable car to high mountain DH (Pila). plenty of walking in the area some cable car and some self propelled. The area really needs a car as it’s all a bit spread out, but lovely destination.
    Briancon and Ecrin area is also nice, been there a few times climbing and mountaineering.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Camping 5 vallees in Briancon. Pool, variety of directions to head off in on the road bike, different lifts a short walk or drive away depending on where you want to walk. Or drive up to Ailefroide and walk from there.

shuhockey
    Free Member

arrgh need a campsite (tent) with pool 12-19 August, most of these are fully booked or you just turn up (not sure I can risk this with kids and wife in tow after a 9hr drive!!!!)
    Any more excellent suggestions to save my sanity, also must have a pool (have I mentioned the pool).

Tracey

Have a look on the ACSI website. Shows most of the sites. We were on the Huttopia in Bourg at the begining of the week. Some one has thrown alot of money at it. We are now on the International in Aosta. Nice site. It has more of a rustic feel to it. Its going through refurbishment at the moment so a bit of noise at times

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘French Alps Family-Friendly Campsite recommendations’ is closed to new replies.